GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to get the truck repainted for some time now. Got in a wreck a while back and from the ext. cab and back is new paint then you got 11 year old paint from the doors up just really looks :puke:
Called the guy at maaco and their base paintjob is $350 (ambassador) then theirs there $500 paintjob (presidential) so im really leaning toward getting this done. I just cant justify spending $1500 on a new paintjob. I had them paint my cowl hood with their base paintjob and it looks great and has lasted good for 2 years now...so I dont see why it wouldn look good if they did the whole truck. Also wanna get it painted because underneath the rocker panels the paint is chipped and I wanna get rid of those hideous things and just have her strait black...what'd yall think? :think:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Most people will say no, but if they did good work already go for it.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
i've seen people win "best paintjob" with MAACO jobs at small local shows. I guess the trick is to do the body and prep work yourself, but I don't know if I could trust them

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The only experience I have w/ a maaco job is from a long time ago. Paint had some runs in it, overpsray on the exhaust and wheels. I suppose if you're not building a show car, and want to save some cash, go for it.

·
GMC & IROC-Z
348 Posts
PREP Yourself(if you can), I had them do a Bmw I once owned, they sanded it with scotchbrite pads and shot it. They got paint on exposed weatherstripping and mouldings they didnt remove. Just my .02. But good luck anyway.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
im pretty sure my truck had a maaco paint job. that would explain the shittiness. its chipped to hell and its rusting behind the rear wheels

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
MAACO has actually stepped their shit up quite a bit over the past couple of years...

people think its shitty paint because it used to be single stage, and now within the past 3-4years they've went to basecoat/clearcoat...

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
MAACO has actually stepped their shit up quite a bit over the past couple of years...

people think its shitty paint because it used to be single stage, and now within the past 3-4years they've went to basecoat/clearcoat...
single stage is not a bad paint if you dont buy cheap shit and prep it right. the $300 paint job is not base/clear :read:

If you want a great paint job for the macco prices ride down to Conyers, Andys paint and body does great work.

·
JEEP JUNKIE
1,480 Posts
I used to work at Earl Schieb when I was a kid, we drank beer ,smoked pot and did burnouts with the cars.my boss would take the cool cars home for the weekend and get toasted back and drive them all over the place and he had no DL! good times :LOL:

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
I used to work at Earl Schieb when I was a kid, we drank beer ,smoked pot and did burnouts with the cars.my boss would take the cool cars home for the weekend and get toasted back and drive them all over the place and he had no DL! good times :LOL:
The owner of a shop here said a guy at Earl Schieb asked him if he wanted the car washed before they painted it. :rofl2: :rofl2:

·
JEEP JUNKIE
1,480 Posts
no shit, we painted a car while a guy waited at the shop, yes he came in the morning and left the same day with a new paint job.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Maaco is bad news. A friend had his truck painted at the shop in Memphis and they managed to spray over a few bugs and got over spray everywhere. Avoid them at all cost :imo

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's not Maaco but at Earl Scheib, my buddy just got one of his bed fenders repainted since he got hit. First thing I noticed where rough areas (not much clear) and then where there was clear, it ran a lot. There was also lots of overspray on his lights (almost like they didn't tape them off) and on his bed rails (over the bedliner). He doesn't care since he is selling the truck but if its anything like Maaco, I wouldn't let them paint my bicycle :read:

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was hopin to hear better news than that ill have to ask this guy about overspray bc i sure as hell aint gonna jus let them get away with that, thats bullshit. It doesn matter how much a paint job costs you gotta tape everything off. The only reason i am thinking about them is because they did a good job on the hood. (but it wasnt on the truck when they painted it)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts