GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I have been lurking on the forums here for about a year and just now decided to post up a "build" thread (if you could even call it that). I have been huge into buying and selling cars for profit for years now. Last year, I had a GMT 400, Audi Q7, Jeep, and a civic sitting in my driveway and I was NOT looking for anymore cars. I got a call from my wife at work and she asked if I wanted to buy her grandfathers truck that had been basically sitting for 6 years since he passed away, the condition was if I bought it I couldn't flip it for profit since her family was going to give me a deal. I told her I really didn't want another vehicle but I would like to go check it out. When we arrived to where it was sitting/ rotting, it was in someone's front yard covered with moss and grime where it obviously had not been washed since he had passed. It is a 2000 model z71 with 90k miles. I drove it down to the end of the road and took this picture.

It was sad to see this truck in this condition. The truck was a 1 owner truck and 6 years prior was garage kept and only used to travel the state of WV for hunting trips. I asked how much my wife's family wanted for the truck, I went and got cash out and drove the truck home the next night. The truck had tons of issues that I slowly sorted out while I liquidated all of the other vehicles in my collection. I then graduated this truck to my daily driver and I have put 8k miles on it in the past year.

I spent HOURS cleaning the truck up the week I brought it home. You cannot tell from that picture but it was horrible. It smelled like old nasty food and mildew. After shampooing the carpet and seats the inside was bearable (Sorry no pics) now it was time to tackle the outside. I filled up two contractor trash bags with soda cans, leaves and dirt that were in the bed of this truck. Here is a pic of some of the mess.

I will have to find some after photos but it is so clean you could eat off it currently. Then I went and bought a pressure washer and foam cannon to see what I could do with the exterior. After a few hours I got the truck to this condition.

and this is how the truck stayed for roughly ten months while I was renovating one of my bathrooms and dealing with the joys that come from being a new home owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As my bathroom renovation started coming to a close, I really started to get the itch to mod the truck. Now normally, trucks were not my thing. I have always been into European cars and I had just recently sold my Volvo s60R and my B6 Audi S4 wagon to fund the down payment for my house. I somehow had forgotten I had ordered the Rough Country Level/Lift keys/ blocks for my truck the day after I bought it. When the lift got shipped to my house I tossed it in a room and it had just been sitting all that time.

I had already figured out what kind of look I was going for with the truck. I am not super big into the stanced 20x12 mall crawlers, and I am not big into yeeyee mudding.... I just wanted something in between those two. I wanted a good stance and a slightly aggressive tire with A LOT of sidewall showing. As I was searching for the perfect wheel and tire combo, I installed my level lift.

What cracks me up is that I ordered my wheels, they arrived and I waited two weeks to order tires because I just loved the way this truck looked like this. I handled significantly better, I no longer felt like a grandpa when I walked into my garage and looked at my truck, and I COULD NOT help but to turn around after every time I parked my truck at the store and look back at it! It provided me so much joy. But as we all know, everything gets old after you look at it for awhile. It was time to mount my wheels. Check out this girth!

Luckily I work at a dealership, so I loaded all of my wheels and tires up and started for work!

Annnnnnd on my way to work this happened....

Yeah, check out THAT cab corner!!! Luckily, I ripped the rest of the exhaust off and had one of my drivers at work get a new muffler and polished tip welded on for me. Meanwhile at the shop, my technicians got the wheels and tires mounted so I could take them home and get them on my truck!

ooooooh yeah! I could not wait to get these bad boys on!!

And here we are!

And this is basically how the truck sits now! I have some more parts to install and well as a lot of maintenance to do to keep this truck reliable. My plans are:

LED bulbs for headlights and fog lights ( already have DRL bulbs)
Fuel pump replacement with new sending unit (gauge falls to empty while sitting at stoplights and I get a hard to start/ long crank after truck is sitting)
New radio and speakers
Get a resonator installed (current flowmaster drones at 2k RPMS)

and a few other small maintenance items
Replace cab corners and rocker panels
Descale and coat frame

I will continue to update this as time goes on! Sorry for the long read, I can be a bit talkative. :LOL:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Coming along clean

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Looks great my man, let’s see the interior! Keep going

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
timeless bodystyle with a classic theme.
Some ptm items, rvinyl to "candy" the tails, clear corners up front, tahoe grille shell.
Pull the body moldings if you're feeling ballsy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates, I have a baby boy due in Feb so this truck has basically just been driven and not had much attention paid to it (aside from the weekly wash). The only small update I have currently is I replaced the cabin filters today with new HEPA filters. Here is a picture of the original filters.

The job is very simple. There was one 7/32 bolt under the dash and the filters (and all the nasty debris) just slid down. After vacuuming out the inside of the vent and all of the debris from my freshly detailed carpet, then using some Ozone spray in the air ducts, I tossed these back into the truck.

Now she smells amazing while the HVAC is blowing. Here is an iPhone picture just because it is 65 degrees in DEC and she is cleaned up.

I just put an order in for some maintenance items I feel need taken care of. I will update this when those arrive!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Looks really good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks yall!

I am waiting on the parts to come in still yet. I am currently looking for some front speakers to install in the truck. I am also going to order a driver side CV axle. I have a boot ripped on mine currently. I plan to keep daily driving this thing until after the used car market calms down. I'd love to retire this thing back to my lowe's only truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FINALLY! All of my parts came in! I have this saying with my wife after I order truck parts I mention "Well, it's still cheaper than a payment on a new one!" Only for this month that is not true :LOL:

My order consisted of:
Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Center link
Idler arm
Idler arm bracket
Pitman arm
Upper Ball joints
Lower Ball joints
Left front axle

I ordered Moog for the parts that it was available for. The first task at hand was my driver front axle. It had thrown all of the grease out a LONG time ago and i have been very dangerously driving the truck anyway.

Needless to say, it was well past due for a replacement. It had top priority due to all the snow that hit my area last week, I really needed 4x4 to function. Here is a picture before all 9 inches fell!

Notice all the brake dust on the rear wheel... keep that in mind as we proceed. Next, the wife and I were going shopping Saturday and I accidentally ripped my door handle off since my door was frozen.

My truck is always garage kept except during extreme snow like this (my driveway goes down a hill with a sharp 90 degree turn that leads to my garage making it impossible to get up in deep snow). I sourced a door handle at the local advance auto and I prepared the truck to be torn apart. First, I tackled all of the steering components. In my head the simplest way to remove everything was to remove tie rods from wheel hub, remove idler arm bracket from chassis, and lastly remove the pitman arm nut. I know that makes the process sound overly simplified, but it truly was that easy. It took roughly an hour to remove all of the parts then another two to reinstall and clean up my tools.

After that, I tore into replacing the door handle. That took almost as long as the steering components!! If you Youtube the process not ONE SINGLE door panel seems to have the same placement or amount of screws to take out. Then after you figure that out, you have to remove the three nuts of the back of the door handle. The third nut is an absolute pain if you have never done the job before too. I dropped two of them inside the door and had to fish them out. So anyway. All of that is taken care of plus I slightly tightened my gear box and the truck drives amazing now. The steering wheel has very little play and doesn't jerk out of my hand when I hit a puddle or bump. Next on the list was tackling a very annoying brake noise that was consistently getting louder every time I drove the truck.

I should not have let those get that bad... Whoops!

Anyway, that is it for now. Ball joints go in tomorrow then an alignment afterwards and the only other thing I have for my truck is an exhaust hardware kit that I need to fix the leak on the driver side manifold. I am a few weeks out from my son being here so I am sure I will not be doing alot to my truck after this week other than keeping it clean and putting miles on it.

Next on my list of things to do is:
spark plugs
front diff service
rear diff cover and new fluid (slow leak)
headlight bulbs because the current ones suck
head unit and speaker upgrade

Attachments

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
oh the times where it was easy to replace things yourself. With all the electrical components on these new trucks its a huge pain to trouble shoot and expensive to repair.
Keep it maintained as you are and it will run for 200k+

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts