GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 160,000 miles on my tranny, and I'm really not sure how ucch is left to go on it. And, I'm not a huge fan of automatics anyway, they're weak, somewhat unpredictable and not nearly as much fun to drive. So, I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about converting a TBI truck from a 4l60e to some sort of manual. There is a 5 speed manual sitting around here from a 1995 4x4 SRW 1 ton truck, and I think I might be able to get it for a decent price. I'm pretty sure it will bolt up to my transfer case, and since it came from a truck with the same engine as mine, that end shouldn't be a problem either. I'm pretty sure I'd have to change driveshafts, bellhousings, flywheel and all that good stuff, not to mention cutting a hole in my floor, but what I'm really curious about is the computer, the steering column and whatever else has to be done. Anybody got any idea? :crazy:

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
its not really cutting a hole in the floor as drilling a hole, for hte clutch cable, looks like you pretty much got it figured out..

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
it wont bolt to your case, if its from a 1 ton it will have a 32 spline output shaft, you on the other hand have a 27 spline output shaft. You COULD find a case from a 3/4 or 1 ton though, then it would bolt up.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I just counted the splines on that tranny...its got 32-ish...hmm. Time to go for a walk over to area 52...

·
6,656 Posts
you COULD stick in a 3/4 ton case as well, i just payed 275 here for a np 241, i bet you could get one for the same amount, the place i went to had a few 32 spline ones. Sell your old one, and there ya go, you have a really nice drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah exactly, a very nice drivetrain. I think the tcase that was mated to this tranny is sitting outside, i just went and looked at it. Been doing some digging (very slow day at the motor pool...) I'd need a new flywheel, bell housing, clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch pedal set, PROM, driveshafts etc. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i'm not making THAT much $$. Besides, finding a 14 bolt with 3.42s in an area where all trucks have 4.10's stock could be difficult...

·
6,656 Posts
i can swap out to 4.10s for ya if you can find the r&p. If you want me to look next time im at the yard ill see if they have a 3.42 one, they had probably 50 14 bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts