GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Picked up this dorman cabin air filter kit awhile ago https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF1TL1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and finally got around to installing it. The instructions made it seem pretty easy, and it was simple, but took a bit longer than expected. They say to cut the factory plastic out with a utility knife, but that doesn't really work. It is pretty easy to drill out the front part until you run out of room. I ended up heating my razor blade with a lighter and that worked pretty well for about an inch at a time. Well anyways, I got it done eventually and the cover hides all my jagged cuts. If anyone else does this, I would recommend getting just the cover and using a different filter. The filter has to be bent to get it in and this one just breaks instead of bending. Hopefully that doesn't give me issues when I replace it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Finally found someone to trade some tow mirrors from my 96 for some stock gmt800 mirrors. Took off the west coasts and put these ones on. Not as fancy as my old k2xx mirrors, but at least the highway wind noise should be a little quieter.

Need to figure out the best way to get out these riv-nuts or whatever they are and see if I want to try welding the holes up or how I'm gonna fill them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Picked up an overhead console from a gmt400 at a junkyard the other year thinking I'd either put it in something, use it for parts, or maybe sell it. I decided to put it in this truck awhile back using this write up, How To: 99-06(07 Classic) Regular Cab Long Overhead Console Install & Information, but got carried away with other stuff. Started pulling stuff apart this evening before it got dark. As much as I like winter, it would sure be nice to have a warm place and some light, mostly the light, to keep working on stuff in the evening. While I'm tearing everything apart, I'm also going to replace my map light with one of the combo dome/map lights from a suburban.

Other than requiring a larger mounting hole, the suburban light has an extra wire. The plugs are both the same, so I'll have to de-pin the orange wire from the suburban light and put it in my stock plug. Then I'll just tie into the other orange power wire for the overhead console map lights.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Didn't get around to updating last night, but I more or less got my console and new dome light in. One tricky part was that the headliner has a plastic clip holding it from the rear. This clip can be accessed through the cab light hole.

Once I figured that out, I was able to get the headliner down. I found a plug there and at first thought it was for the plow prep/roof beacon before learning it's for a mirror. It's the 16 pin plug with a black, yellow, blue, and green wires. I have a compass/temp mirror from a 400 I was going to put in, but now I'll probably see what other wires I need to use the newer one.

Next, I set my new wiring harness up there and taped it in a couple spots, took some measurements, and put the headliner partway back up.

Based off of my measurements, I cut a hole, little by little, at the front for the console to screw into. Once I found the square factory hole, I was able to put a j clip in to mark and drill a hole for the screw. Then I cut the existing dome light hole out wider to fit the tabs on the console. I used a small piece of trim to give the console tabs a little better spot to slip into. In the write up I followed, it says you can the panel up and the map light section will leave a mark of where to cut the headliner for clearance. I couldn't see much of an impression, so I used a paint pen to mark the high spot and transfer that to the headliner. This is not required, but there will be a little gap on either side of the console without the extra clearance.

All of this took a little finageling to get lined up in the right spot, but I eventually got it secured.

Then I was able to focus on the dome light. Based off of my measurements, template, and some eyeballing, I cut a new hole for the light. This is where I screwed up. I recommend getting an idea where you want it, then taking the console down before cutting anything. I tried lining things up from the drivers seat based off of the console and a not very good view. My light ended up being off centered and slightly crooked. Luckily, the hole was tight enough that I could move it over a little bit, which definitely improved the look. If I did it again, I would take the console out and lean back against the dash to make sure everything was centered before cutting. This gives you a much better, more straight on view.

I still need to do a little work on the console itself, plug my power wire in under the dash, and hook up my ground to a previously installed bus bar. Other than one of the console lights, everything works just fine.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts