GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm strongly considering this kit because i already got 255/35R20's on the way and i was wanting to know how involved the install is. Could i do it myself? is there any cutting/welding to be done reguarding the c-notch? How difficult will the install be and should i even doit myself?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
not sure how hard the install is...i've never messed with one. But you will need to do a little cutting to install that c-notch, but no welding.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
If you get the McGaughy's kit, get the one with Tahoe spindles for 17" rims or bigger. From what I've heard, the Tahoe spindles are much easier to install. As far as the notch, although not required, you might want to take the bed off. It's just alot easier to work with the bed off. If you have access to a sawsall, get it. It'll make cutting the notch very easy. Make sure you have drill bits and a drill to make the holes on the notch. The notch is the most time consuming of the install. Also, be careful on the install up front. Make sure that you don't bust your ball joint boots if you use a pickle fork to separate the ball joints....

·
Registered
930 Posts
i am doing my truck this sunday with mcguaghys 4/6 with the tahoe spindles.i'll post monday on what if needed or what was the hardest part. by the way im never did any suspension besides replaced brake pads and install my drop shackles.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
If a pickle fork is gonna bust my boots, what would u reccomend doing?
I don't recommend doing it, I just said that if you use it or resort to it. I had a hell of a time trying to separate my upper ball joints from the spindle with a hammer, so I resorted to one, and I busted by upper ball joint boots...

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
Install is easy, need sawzall, drill, new 1/2 drill bit(drill holes in corners of hte notch outline, so you can cut hte next angle), Set of sockets, hammer for balljoints, grease for bearings, and a torque wrench. :bowtie:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts