GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck info: NNBS 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 VMax 4x4. Lift is a McGaughy's standard 7/9 w Bilsteins set at 8".

I have posted here several times regarding this issue and unfortunately am still struggling with it. I installed this lift over 4 years ago and have had steering problems ever since. It's getting worse and worse and has become unbearable to the point where I'm considering swapping out the lift for another manufacturer if I can't fix the issues. MCG is a horrendous company to deal with and they nor the dealer I purchased from will respond to my messages so I have completely given up on them for any kind of remedy or advise. I have contacted them too many times to count over the years both by phone and email. I have also spent hundreds of $ on alignments and specialty 4x4 shops to try to pin point the issue to no avail. I did have one tech at 4WheelParts that had it on the lift a couple of years ago tell me that there was nothing they could do alignment wise as one wheel turns a couple of degrees further than the other when turning. He blamed on the design of the spindle and two years later, I think he might be right.

My issues is when turning hard my front tires plow and chirp like they would on dry pavement if you were in 4x4. Parking is horrific and embarrassing and even turning around tight corners, roundabouts or drive-thru's is a challenge. I hate driving my truck these days. It chews through tires on the outer edges and there is scrubbing across the entire tread.

I found a post regarding a Fabtech lift that led me to the conclusion that I have the exact same issue. You can find it here:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/181701-wheel-hopskid-at-full-leftright-turn/

Ultimately the OP replaced the lift with parts provided by Fabtech to fix the issue. The MCG lift I have is almost an exact copy of the Fabtech and I'm fairly certain uses the same sourced spindles.

I will include pictures of my spindles where they are hitting my LCA's in the front of the LCA's. How do the steering stops work? They seem to be on the front and back of the spindles. It's my understanding that the stops on the backs of the spindles should hit preventing the spindle from ever hitting the LCA in the front. Correct?

My second question is what I should do about this. I've tried to source new spindles with no luck. Should I try to grind or mill out the spindle where the LCA is hitting to give it clearance? I have found one place that I might be able to order Cognito spindles for a chunk of cash. I don't want to mix / match parts for that much money without confidence it will fix my issues. My last resort is to buy a Cognito lift but I'm obviously not thrilled about flushing my MCG lift money down the toilet and would prefer to fix it if the only issue is the spindles.

Thank you for any help advice. I'm desperate to figure this out.

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
its a design flaw, the fact that its hitting the steering stops is inconsequential. Didn't read the thread link but I'd bet they redesigned something to either limit the turning or fixed turning angles to allow you to fully turn w/o locking up the wheel/tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally fixed it. Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else is dealing with this nightmare of a kit. I contacted MaxTrac Suspension about their replacement lift knuckles while describing my problem and they were very responsive and helpful by providing measurements to me to compare against my defective parts. I'm thrilled to report that they worked with my other lift lift components and my steering issues are now fixed. I will NEVER purchase another McGaughy's product. They are a nightmare to deal with. Do you research and read all the negative reviews before buying anything from them. I had the opposite experience with MaxTrac. They were great to work with and highly responsive! Pics are a comparison between the defective knuckles that came with my kit and the MaxTrac replacements. Also pics of LCA's where the McGaughy's knuckles were hitting the stops.

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having a similar issue with a 2007 GMC 1500 my upper control arms are bottomed out. I have a MCGaughys 9i inch lift and I can’t get enough camber to align my truck and all angles are horrific. I replaced control arm with cognito arms, didn’t seem to help getting ready to try max trac spindles. Any advice. [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts