GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to test out their new design of shock and I'm very pleased. The old design got lots of criticism, myself included had the impression that McGaughy's shocks were a bad shock even though I had no first hand experience with them. With the new design that stereotype should be gone, these things ride great. If you are skeptical because of what you heard in the past, then try them out.

Everyone has a different idea of what they like. I have McGaughy's Flip Kit, C-Notch and Helper Bags and with these shocks it rides really tight and has great response. With my other shocks the truck would feel like it was just moving around like a waterbed, but now it's firm but still very comfortable. I like a firm ride as opposed to the Buick blown suspension feeling...

Here are some pics:
***I know the shocks are mounted upside down. I took these pictures when I first installed them then realized they were upside down and I didn't take any pictures when fixing my mistake cause I was pissed off at doing the same job twice*** :crazy: All I ever see are guys mounting shocks with the body on top and the shaft on the bottom, so that's how I did it. Maybe it's just a remote reservoir thing, but I know Dezert1500 has his mounted like mine, but it's a entirely different shock so maybe that's why.

IMG_0363.gif

IMG_0361.gif

IMG_0360.gif

IMG_0365.gif

IMG_0364.gif

Now I just need some shocks for the front. With the back riding so good, you can really see how terrible the front is. I'm not sure if they've made a front shock with the new design yet though

-John

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
:hmm: I know some shocks only have one way of being mounted but i dont think it matters on others.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the McGaughys number and he said they were upside down, plus the wording on the body was upside down so that was a dead giveaway :crazy:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I've heard of people getting shakes or the bed bouncing around with shocks mounted upside down. That's all though.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
oil shocks cannot be mounted upside down, gas/nitrogen shocks it doesn't matter.

Got any pics with the weight of the truck on them?....those pics it looks like you only have about 4" of travel at droop

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
what shocks did you have before?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
notice how its being held up in the air by the pumkin..
i would say that that is with the weight of the truck on them
The truck was supported at the shackle mount by jackstands and the axle was being controlled by the jack so I could maneuver the shocks into place easier. In that last picture the weight of the truck was basically on them because I jacked it up to check clearance and it was just beginning to lift the truck when I took that pic

what shocks did you have before?
Some NAPA ones, I can't remember which kind though. We bought them in a pinch locally after installing the drop, obviously the stock ones wouldn't work

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
I didn't notice anything "wrong" so to speak other than being told they were upside down. still rode great :big_banana_Dance:
yeah i installed mine upside down when i first did it. The bed was a little more "floaty" as opposed to the stiffer ride when i corrected it.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cause they're gangster, duh.

I stole your idea on running the hose too :crazy:

·
3,161 Posts
haha I had to laugh when I saw you now were also rockin' gangsta zip ties. :crazy: Glad you like the shocks nothing better than a good ride.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts