GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lower ball joint nut and bolt is too long and i know i have to cut it! So show me some pics of how your bolts are cut and what size nut you are using! My nut seems to be too big for the wheel to spin it just barley touches and im gonna go get a shorter one and try that first!

Please help I would like to see what you lowered guys with spindles are doing to run 17's

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
It should come supplied with a new locknut which works. Or you could reuse the stock one for the bottom. Put the nut on and torque it to spec. Then take a grinder and grind the excess stud smooth with the nut.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Only thing I hate about cutting that, is it makes it a bitch if you ever have to remove it, keeps spinning...one reason I waited till I had my 22's to install the spindles...didnt cut mine this time.

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok haha the problem was that i used the stock nut! now is the nut suppose to be recessed into the spindle or out side of the hole because the hole is big enough to put a nut without a washer in there but i cant get a socket on it! Thanks for the quick responses!

i want to run 17's for the track and still be able to run my 22's when we show and stuff like that!

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Only thing I hate about cutting that, is it makes it a bitch if you ever have to remove it, keeps spinning...one reason I waited till I had my 22's to install the spindles...didnt cut mine this time.
Try cutting both upper and lower ball joint studs off and then taking it off :whyme:

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just called mcgaughys and they said that i need a smaller width nut than the stock on and these are the older style spindles so i need to have a nut with a washer or flange that wont recess it and that will fix my problem! then just cut the bolt off flush with the nut!

·
Flyin V Customs
1,781 Posts
when i put my 16" spindles on, i figured it wouldn't have to cut the excess off since i have 17s. i was wrong. i was so excited to check my camber after i got everything back together, and i forgot to roll the wheel before i let the jack down. i back up a bit and cut a small groove in one of my wheels.

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
just grind some of the bolt off until it has clearance. Thats what i did.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
DSC01909.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry if I read this post wrong, but even if you have the McGaughy's 17"+ spindle you have to cut the lower ball joint bolt to clear a factory 17 inch rim? Am I understanding this correctly or am I mistaken?

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
your correct

·
Registered
57 Posts
Then why do they advertise it as 17" and bigger? I am wanting to get a set of stock 17"s to run here and there but Im not sure about that now... Is it realy as easy as buzzing off the rest of the bolt that isnt being used by the thread?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Yup just cut the balljoint stud off flush with the nut. Piece of cake.

·
the art of shredding
730 Posts
Then why do they advertise it as 17" and bigger? I am wanting to get a set of stock 17"s to run here and there but Im not sure about that now... Is it realy as easy as buzzing off the rest of the bolt that isnt being used by the thread?
yeah just take the grinder to it, its not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts