GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings guys, I'm new to the site and to GM in general. I just picked up this clean 85 Bonus Cab dually 3500, and though it has a few problems which I'll post about in a different thread, there's one thing I'm a little confused about.

What exactly is a "Bonus Cab?" I've read that it's basically a Crew Cab with the back seat deleted and converted into lockable storage, however this truck has a bench seat in the back. It's hard to find much of anything on trucks with these "Bonus Cab" badges.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It was probably done up as a conversion by one of the many companies that used to do that.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,938 Posts
I would call it a crew cab since that's what it is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phildirt,
I agree, but it has "Bonus Cab" badges, so I was trying to get a little more information. It didn't come with a lick of paperwork besides a title, so I've got nothing to go on about who might have done the conversion, etc.

Any idea how many of these were made? Where should I look to find those numbers?

·
Administrator
3,363 Posts
Phildirt,
I agree, but it has "Bonus Cab" badges, so I was trying to get a little more information. It didn't come with a lick of paperwork besides a title, so I've got nothing to go on about who might have done the conversion, etc.

Any idea how many of these were made? Where should I look to find those numbers?
I don't have the exact answer for you but if you visit gmsquarebody.com and ask the same question I guarantee someone over there will have the answer for you. There's a lot of knowledge there on the squarebodies especially on specific questions like this one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good luck on finding your answers, I would be interested to hear the results.

On a more important note, It's a damn nice looking truck.

·
The great white Canadian
1,518 Posts
Was just going to say the bonus cab is just a crew cab minus the rear seat. If you have a rear seat it's not a factory seat.

But the video explains that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the seat style & wood on the doors lends itself to being a conversion. whether it was a po that swapped in the parts or a conversion, that i can't answer. Conversion companies usually also did exterior enhancements, which i dont notice, not to say that it wasnt reverted to stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having talked to the guys at GMCSquareBody, and also having done some google searching, I've concluded that the pickup I bought was done by Choo Choo Customs. The interior trim and paneling matches mine perfectly!
upload_2019-8-26_11-2-49.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
From my 1988 GMC sales brochure: "The Bonus Cab is the same as the Crew Cab, but with the rear seat removed to provide 55.8 cu ft of cargo space." This a direct quote from the sales brochure. I'm sure there was a separate RPO for this option. Also, no mention as to whether or not the mounting holes for the seat and seat belts were deleted or somehow sealed. Logic and cost savings would indicate a simple plug or bolt installed to provide a water tight seal. Perhaps an original parts book would have a plug or bolt listed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts