GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever use that stuff before? says it works well when hand apllied, and says it works well on dark colors. my truck is dark blue metallic. i have a few light scratches, and it says this stuff removes fine scratches.

i can get this stuff locally. i'm not really ready to buy my wax and shit online. i'd rather go to the local auto parts store and just pick it up.

so, is that a good sealant? worth trying?

plus, i'm not a pro detailer, so i dont really want to use anything to hard core.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Dont worry, I make buying online easy ;) lol.

I would honestly suggest poorboys ex sealant. Good for dark colors and really simple to apply. Apply it to the whole car, then go back and buff off. (if working in direct sunlight, you'll want to remove it after every panel or two depending how hot it is). I use this stuff A LOT on my details. I really think you'd be happy w/ it. You dont have to be a pro to use it. I'm sure someone can chime in who has bought ex or exp from me. Both are applied/removed the same way.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
What is meant by "well-maintained"? My truck is 11 years old. I wax it, but never put sealant on it. Could I use a sealant?

(Sorry if this jacked the thread)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dont worry, I make buying online easy ;) lol.

I would honestly suggest poorboys ex sealant. Good for dark colors and really simple to apply. Apply it to the whole car, then go back and buff off. (if working in direct sunlight, you'll want to remove it after every panel or two depending how hot it is). I use this stuff A LOT on my details. I really think you'd be happy w/ it. You dont have to be a pro to use it. I'm sure someone can chime in who has bought ex or exp from me. Both are applied/removed the same way.
I will let you know how it works here as soon as I get my order...

And yes it is super easy to order from Chris, his site is in my Favorites now, and you get a gmfullsize discount...:head:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
What is meant by "well-maintained"? My truck is 11 years old. I wax it, but never put sealant on it. Could I use a sealant?

(Sorry if this jacked the thread)
Sure, you can apply a sealant. At least make sure you wash the vehicle well to start. I would almost say that "well maintained" can mean "not neglected". From washing, you can go right to a sealant if you have kept up on routine washes and waxes, but as with any last step application (wax, glazes, sealants, etc), the finish will feel smoother or have a higher gloss appearance if it has been clayed and/or polished.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, does the poorboys ex sealant remove fine scratches like the meguairs supposedly does?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Unless a product contains some form of polish compound in it, it will not remove any defects. Similarly, if the product contains oils, it will help to fill some imperfections. If you're looking to do a little correction and at the same time add protection, I would recommend you go with one of two products, poli-seal or polish w/ sealant. (even polish w/ carnuba if you'd like to go carnuba as opposed to sealant).

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/oppo.html

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/powise.html

or a carnuba based one step....
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/polish-with-carnuba-blue.html

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sealants won't remove scratches... just conceal them. Think of them as a microscopic filler for tiny scratches.

damn. i had no idea. see, i dont know that much about detailing. i know how to hand apply a good carnuba wax.

i just washed the truck today. it looks like complete ass. those hack ass bastards that did my detail really fucked my paint. i'm not going to take t back to them, 1 cause i didnt pay for it. 2. i've lost all my confidence in them. read this too learn more.http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82027

i used a little of the srcatch remover i have (meguairs srcatch x), with some meguairs gold class on top. i appears to have removed all the crap that the detail shop did. i really need to clay bar it, remove or fill the scratches, put a good coat sealer and good wax job.

·
Registered
374 Posts
#21 is OK, but I'm a fan of #20 myself. Goes on very easy and comes off just as easy, gives a fairly deep shine without giving the metal flake too much "pop". I've easily had it last 6 months on our personal vehicles here at home. Customer cars, I can't really speak for but if you maintain the finish (weekly/bi-weekly washing, QD'ing, etc) you should get some decent longevity out of it.

Still haven't tried PB's EX or EX-P, but I've only heard good things about it

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#21 is OK, but I'm a fan of #20 myself. Goes on very easy and comes off just as easy, gives a fairly deep shine without giving the metal flake too much "pop". I've easily had it last 6 months on our personal vehicles here at home. Customer cars, I can't really speak for but if you maintain the finish (weekly/bi-weekly washing, QD'ing, etc) you should get some decent longevity out of it.

Still haven't tried PB's EX or EX-P, but I've only heard good things about it

so i could get the #21 and have a real nice 'pop' in the metallic paint? sweet.

so, i need to clay bar, then use a scratch and swirl removing product, followed by the sealer, then a coat of wax?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep, thats the right order of application Jules :)

Heres some links to some products.
clay bars:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/clay-bars-and-lubricants.html

Polishes:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poglco.html

Sealants and Waxes:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/waxes-and-sealants.html
Chris, How long after applying the first coat of EX before you can put another layer on, then how long until you can put on the wax (Gold Class this time, Natty's Blue next time)

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Chris, How long after applying the first coat of EX before you can put another layer on, then how long until you can put on the wax (Gold Class this time, Natty's Blue next time)

Thanks,
I would give it at least an hour. Go have a beer and a burger, then come back to apply another layer. :crazy:

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you guys doin all this stuff by hand??
i apply all my stuff by hand. i'm no profession detailer, just a guy who likes a shiney car. plus i figure i cant possilby fuck any thing up by hand, which is the main reason i do it that way.

i'm having a really tough time finding that damn meguairs #21 synthetic sealant anyway, unless its in a 64 oz bottle. i dont need that much.

Chris, i might have to get some of that poorboys ex from ya.

can i use that over another brand of polish? (meguairs deep crystal polish)

and than just top it with a nice carnuba wax?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Chris, i might have to get some of that poorboys ex from ya.

can i use that over another brand of polish? (meguairs deep crystal polish)

and than just top it with a nice carnuba wax?
Sure, just let me know when you're ready. I think you'll really like how easy it is to use and the results. You can certainly apply a carnuba over EX, and you can also use this sealant over any brand polish. (just dont apply this sealant over a wax/glaze, vice versa is perfectly fine though) :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts