GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about Meguiars 3 step stuff. I don't have a Porter Cable, just good ol elbow grease.

I saw they have 3 products you can use in a row...

Any good? Saw them at Advanced Auto for about 8 bucks a piece. Worth the $25? Apply with MF towels, pads?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've used their paint cleaner and gold class wax and both are good products and will leave you with a nice finished product. but i always tell people to use a paint sealant over any wax. wax lasts 1 month, paint sealant 4-6 months. and for extra protection and gloss i put a coat of gold class over the sealant after it has cured for 24 hours. I could perform surgury off the reflection in my SS's hood after that!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I have done the 3 step many times and it has great results. I do use a PC though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
clean, polish, seal, wait 24 hrs, wax.

i use a sealant that can be found on this web page:http://www.perfectautofinish.com
This company is run by a neighbor of mine from my childhood, and actually i may try to buy his detail business from him, going to start a thread on it in off topic section now. I use all the products he sells and he has shown me the testing he has done to compare different products and its quite impressive. He has actaully had different products broken down in a lab and testing for stuff that i dont understand, but its pretty convincing when u hear him talk about!!
and i meant to mention earlier, apply with a pad, never a microfiber. microfibers are for taking the wax or product off the paint. a foam or cotton applicator pad will do the trick.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
so.. Cleaner, Polish, Wax, Sealant, Wax again?

What's the sealant? Brand/Product?
Sealant before Wax. You can wax over a sealant that way you get the best of both worlds. You get the protection/longevity of the sealant, and with a nice quality carnuba over it, you'll get the warm glow and shine of the wax...

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:hmm: I'd like a little more than 8oz that he's offering...

This product has received great reviews I believe

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (Car Paint Sealant) 16.9 oz.

I think I'm going to break down and get a PC. But don't have the foggiest idea on how to operate it, which size pad would be the most beneficial and which counterweights to have...

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
DER Real Stuff You wont go back to normal wax trust me

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think I'm going to break down and get a PC. But don't have the foggiest idea on how to operate it, which size pad would be the most beneficial and which counterweights to have...
there's nothing to it, one application and you'll be wonderin why the F you've been waxing by hand for all these years!!!

I use a 4 in pad, but thats just preference, the more important choice is the abrasiveness which is determined by color. I use white for wax/sealant and orange for a light cut. the color codes vary by manufact i think though.

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
I bought the PC sander one from Lowes it has the the right countersink in it for the 6" pads and is the same style of PC you'll buy offline.

I buy all of my stuff from http://autogeek.net/ but I'm pretty sure we have some vendors now

The Klasses sealant is good stuff to use. It lasts really long. It can be a PITA to remove thought that's why i apply it with a wet Microfiber applicator and remove it with two microfibers one being wet and one dry. I always apply waxes, glazes and sealants by hand.

A good place to go for info is Detailcity.org

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
:hmm: I'd like a little more than 8oz that he's offering...

This product has received great reviews I believe

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (Car Paint Sealant) 16.9 oz.

Matt,
lets talk man..shoot me a pm... I'll get you set up w/ everything you need in a package deal if you want to start using a pc :shake:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Matt, if you want a sealant, go w/ either ex or exp. Application and removal are simple and you can work w/ them in direct sun compared to other brands that you have to work in shade/garage. I use them on the majority of details unless the owner specifies a carnuba. Between ease of application, removal and results, they're hard to beat :)
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/waxes-and-sealants.html
Thanks for the info Chris, just ordered 2 bottles of the EX, :shake:

one question though, use this before or after the wax? or both? I will be using up my Meg. Gold Class or I have some Meg. NXT too, then I will see what you suggest from your site.

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
use it before wax

the wax is what gives it the nice deep looking finish so you want that on top and when that wears off the sealant or ex will still be there

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You always want to use a sealant before a wax (or glaze). Sealants will not adhere properly to waxes/glazes. You can definitely top the sealant w/ a carnuba though. Try to avoid using cleaner waxes too (such as nxt) so you're not being counterproductive and negatively affecting the sealant you just applied :)
If you'd like a recommendation from the site on a carnuba, I love both carnuba moose wax and nattys paste wax. Both easy applications and can work both in sunlight which is a plus since the summer is coming...although nj weather recently disagrees, lol. For a quick application, optimum spray wax or qw+ are also great waxes that shouldnt be overlooked :)

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Chris gives good info, I've bought stuff from him and the customer service is great. Also, with the GMFS discount the prices for the product are really good given you use alot less of the product it easily pays for itself.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Chris gives good info, I've bought stuff from him and the customer service is great. Also, with the GMFS discount the prices for the product are really good given you use alot less of the product it easily pays for itself.
:word: he got me setup last week with all of the stuff needed for my PC and he ships QUICK! do it matt!:read:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts