GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SOLD
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never clayed before and ive been doing a lot of reading up on it. Is the 4oz. sample cleaner wax that the kit comes with enough to do a ccsb with topper or should i just buy some and use that intead?

Also quick question. Is there a big difference between the spray on/ liquid/ or paste waxes? Never fully detailed my truck yet and i want to get the best look. How do Meguires(sp?) deep crystal polish and wax work?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I use meguiars products and they work great.

·
Lifted 2wd
773 Posts
I think it's personal preference on the paste/liquid wax. I prefer liquid because it seems easier to use. Everyone is different though.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
the paste will give you a deeper look.

i'd look at the turtle wax ICE system for otc. it's a great product.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
I'm going to start using liquid because paste requires a ton of effort.
liquid is fine if you do it once a month. it just doesn't offer the protection that a paste would.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I always use paste, and yes its alot of work, but its worth it. I have never used liquid, because I have always felt that it wouldnt work that great.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
That claybar should be more than enough to do your entire truck 1 time.

Liquid waxes are easy to use, but typically not as durable as paste, nor do they offer the deep wet look that most pastes can. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, there are some shitty pastes out there, and some way above average liquids... best thing to do is research and get feedback then make your choice.

As with all things detailing - process is more important than product. The best wax will look like garbage if you apply it wrong, and the cheapest liquid can look great if you apply it correctly.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
the paste will give you a deeper look.

i'd look at the turtle wax ICE system for otc. it's a great product.
i think turtle wax ice is garbage, its quick, but doesnt last, nor look fantastic, ]

if your looking for a cheap paste wax, poorboys makes some good shit,

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
really? it lasts a decent amount of time for OTC.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
beyond clay from pepboys workway better than meguiars and mothers clay. its made by surf city garage and its only $15 bucks.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
beyond clay from pepboys workway better than meguiars and mothers clay. its made by surf city garage and its only $15 bucks.
orly

i think all the pepboys around here closed tho. fuck. so did the autozones.

only thing we got is Advance Auto and Never Any Parts Available.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
orly

i think all the pepboys around here closed tho. fuck. so did the autozones.

only thing we got is Advance Auto and Never Any Parts Available.
vatozone has it too.

·
SOLD
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just went and bought the meguires kit and wax, along with the 3m eraser wheel. got the back emblems off and 1500hd emblems off the side. gettin ready to take off the molding..let me just say..fishing string is probably the easiest way..but buy bigger than 8lb test..thats all i have and it keeps breaking on me..not to mention i cut 3 fingers on the shit haha. just an fyi.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Actually it doesn't even belong in the same conversation as a claybar to be honest and is another example of a manufacture playing up the word "Clay" in a product that doesn't have the same properties. It falls in with the Turtle Wax "Liquid Claybar" gimmick to be honest.

Beyond clay is a cleaning polish... same product category as Mothers Pre Wax Cleaner, Meguairs Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Adams Revive, P21S Paintwork Cleanser, etc. It is not a claybar nor is it ever going to be a replacement for a claybar.

Claybars sheer and remove bonded contamination... though paint cleansers can help deep clean your paint they cannot remove the hard bonded contaminants like a claybar can.

Don't fall for the gimmick... just b/c it says CLAY somewhere on the label doesn't mean its a replacement for clay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts