GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone says they're heavy but how heavy are the really. The 46" xml's or whatever they are. I think I read somewhere that they were like 390 pounds a piece, is that accurate. Just wondering and why are they so cheap? They'd probably last longer than the truck would though.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
ill be doing that soon...just not 46s.

yes, they are extremely heavy. Please don't drive on something like that with stock brakes. they CAN NOT handle slowing down 400 lbs at each corner. Half ton, 3/4 ton. 1 ton, it doesn't matter...They take forever to wear out, ride decent from what i hear (they are radials), and are regroovable for another 3/8-1/2" of tread.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So its between these and the 46" claws. Anyone know how much a 46" claw weighs in at, I'm sure it's not even half the 400 pound military tire. Stock 3/4 ton brakes no good let alone IFS? hahaha

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
only 150 pounds? really?

imo, those michelins look good, and if you upgraded to some gnarly brakes, do it. i'd run em, they look good on that truck as long as they are new and not cut up, some you can get on ebay are cheap but kinda tore up. gonna be on 20s so stock brakes at least "look" stupid anyways (but i cant talk, im still saving up for bigger brakes haha), so save some $$ on tires and get brakes too

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think my toyos with 22's weighed in around 145 pounds a piece, I would think the mickeys would be like 170 at least with a 20" rim

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would you guys to to upgrade the brakes that don't cost a fortune and are 5.13 gears enough to move these tires. I plan on getting a blower for my 6.0 in the near future as well

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
How do tires like this handle in mud.....i know there no boggers but do they hold there own? wouldnt be a bad go for someone that roads their rigs around.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
thats because ur H-core :crazy: and I'm guessing ride quality and highway driving arn't your main concerns.
they are of concern to me. i DD the truck. the 36" bias goodyears on there now ride real well for not even being balanced. Once i get my finances in check, im def doing a set of 38" michelin xls for the 16" wheels. theres a guy in tenn that has a BUNCH of sets, wants about 100-125$ each depending on tread (100$ for 4/10", 125 for 5/10", ect) and ships at a VERY fair rate (should be 150$ give or take to my store).

IM always for doing something different when it comes to tires...i hate seeing the same thing over and over like 44" STS and 46" claws and 49" iroks. that shit gets old. If you have the running gear, run the michelin military tires, but like i said, it takes a LOT of braking power to stop it (like 1 ton brakes for 40s because of the weight).

If its a show truck, go for it. If its a DD, get some bigger brakes and go with a smaller, lighter tire.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found the michelin site with these on 395/85 20 which is the 46" lists at 219 pounds a piece, that ain't that bad at all. I think i'll be different and get them

Any thoughts on brake upgrades, front mostly!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts