GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, i might be converting the axles on the blazer to 1 ton axles (don't care for 10 bolts with 3.08 gears...not worth regearing to me). If I get everything from another truck of the same generation, say an 80s K-30, how much fabbing would it take to get it to bolt up? Spring perches and everything like that?? I asked Dark E about this, and he mentioned going to crossover steering...which might be a plan for the future, but would it be necessary to go to this right away??? It will be a while before i get the money, but I really want get some of the ideas and plans going. Any one have any ideas on how much this might cost??? It would prob also be best to buy a doner truck, maybe wrecked or whatever...no engine or tranny, but all the steering and axels right??? Wouldn't i need to do something about the U joints too??? just tell me how much trouble im gonna be goin through with this project...

·
Banned
487 Posts
Your guna need the leaf spring perches off the back, so if your buying the whole truck this should not be a problem. And your guna need the front perches that are bolted to the sway bar. all the brake lines and leaf spring plates and shock mounts will line right up. *dont forget u-bolts*

other than that, your guna need a u-joint for the rear axle, not sure about the front but i would guess so. I got mine at napa for about 20 bucks a piece, i went in there and told them i needed a u-joint with 1/2 ton on one side, and 1 ton on the other and they hooked me right up.

you dont need to go crossover steering unless you really want to.. steering will bolt right up as well.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i get all the perches and everything, in theory, the axles will bolt up, and the steering shouldn't be too bad either?? so far this project is soundin pretty good to me...maybe i will be running 35s before too much longer...Anything i should really look out for???

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
the normal steering will bolt right up but if you lift it much I would do crossover. As far as the front u joint the stock dana60 one is a 1310, so i dont even think you will need a conversion one. The 14 bolt however is a 1350, so you will need a 1310/1350 conversion joint. also if your not lifting it at the time you will probably need your rear shaft shortened, the pumpkin on the 14 bolt is much longer. I would just lift it at the same time, all you would need is a drop pitman arm, extended brake lines, and the springs.

·
Banned
487 Posts
yes, use the 1 ton perches and u bolts or get new ones made or order the lift for a 1 ton so they come with the right diameter u-bolts and depending on the size of lift the steering will bolt right up.... with an extended arm for the lift or whatever.

waht to look out for....
the 14botl is a heavy somma bitch, get a few friends over to help! othern that its cake

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I went with about 6" of lift total (4" or so from shackle flip, 1" 0 rate AAl, 6" front springs) would it make the shaft about the right length overall??? 6" is as high as i want to have it for now...would like to just run 35s and still have room between the tires and wheel wells...It would be nice to have the truck start out pretty low one day...then by the end of the night have it sittin up 6" higher and on some 35s...my current tires (31x10.50 liberator ATs) only measure up to 28.6" right now...i still have to talk my parents into lettin me lift it some...who knows, maybe ill have moved out by then...i would love to try to get it done about the same time as Darks SFA swap...durnin the summer sometime. Im tired of ridin around stock.

·
Banned
487 Posts
with 6 inches of lift and a 14 bolt i think it would be PERFECT. my driveline was lenghtened for 4 inch lift and then i put that 14bolt in there and then when i put my 6" on it was too long...

urs should be perfect.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its gonna be a while before i can even look into gettin the doner truck...Im gonna be makin close to a grand doin a lil bit of work in early april. Im also gonna start savin up pretty much every bit of money i come across between now and whenever i come across the right truck. I think the only thing im gonna get for my B-day comin up is a yellow top optima or pro comp battery...then the rest of the money is goin towards the swap and new tires and the lift...any chance i can do this for under $1500?

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah...figured there was no chance...how muhc would yall guess i could do this for??

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well, for a basic 60 front with no locker or anything in good shape your looking to pay around $1500 or so. For one in bad shape needing a basic rebuild you could probably find it for $600-800 then about $400-500 in rebuild parts. Thats the most expensive peace then the rest is cheap.

·
Banned
487 Posts
willys.... i could buy a dana 60 out of a military truck.... 4.56 gears from the factory in perfect condition for $1200 still too much for my tastes though...
im searching, but i am confident i can find just what you said.. a full K30 sittin in a farmers weed patch. I know where theres a K30, i havent had a chance to talk to the owner see if he wants to part it out or sell it yet thouhg.

·
Buck Nekkid
50 Posts
If you get a 1 Ton 14 bolt, you will have to move the spring perches and shock mounts. They are farther inboard on the Tonners. A 3/4 ton rear will bolt up w/o moving the mounts.

·
Buck Nekkid
50 Posts
Could be. Every 1 Ton I have seen from the 73-87 vintage that I have seen has had a narrower front and rear spring hanger. Supposedly they did this to allow for clearance on the DRW models, but put it on the SRW's as well. The spring spacing is the same as the 72 and earlier 4wd's. A guy that works for me had purchased a 1ton 14 bolt so he could bolt it under his 70 w/o welding new spring perches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts