GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably wouldn't even need to post this if there was a boolean option on the search, and it would narrow down the results, but it doesn't so here it is.

I know the AWD/4WD mileage on the 2500HDs with a 6.0 is only about 12....edmunds.com and another member confirmed this. I also read where some are getting 18MPG on the highway with a 2WD and abut 12 around town. Can anyone here with a 6.0 in a 2wd offer any input, including how much you have your foot in it? I also read where there are tunes that can get 20MPG out of it, but I am calling BS.....just looking for some real world opinions.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Big reaons for the shit economy are:

0.75:1 Overdrive

4.10:1 gearing

30" donuts then oversized

Poor factory tune

Heavy truck with small motor

Poor driving habits

Now I get around 13-14 city only in my Z. 19-21 freeway only. Mixed is about 16.5-18.5 dependent on how much freeway driving I do. I drive pretty reserved on the freeway as you're in a box with wheels. 60-65mph is going to yield best economy.

Tires fully inflated, tail gate up or cap
Good general tune of the motor
Windows up with A/C on is better than them down w/ it off.
I lose about 0.75-1.5mpg with the A/C on

Granted I have a 5.3, the OD gear of the 60E is better for cruising. A wide ratio 80E with a 3.73:1 would get considerably better economy I'm certain in a 6.0 powered 2500HD.

There have been numerous posts of RCSB 6.0 people attaining 20-23mpg freeway cruise too. They're lighter but also have mods to let the motor breathe and be more efficient.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
less than 40 mph, windows is better than AC says mens health :)

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Ive wondered the same... a few guys here claim theire 6.0 4wds get about 16-18mpg hwy after a nelson tune :shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts