GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my truck is dumped right now, and I'm going to toss a lift onto it.

For now, I'm thinking of going with just a Fabtech spindle in front, and like a 1.5" block in back. Before you all jump in, I know that will just make it look like a 4wd pretty much, but since I have to get rims and tires too I'd like to save a few bucks on the lift right now.

Now, I was all set to go ahead and get the Upper Control Arm + Coils later, but reading Klem's post in the big 2wd lift thread, I'm wary of doing that because I don't really want to blow through ball joints. I've been really happy with my DJM drop components, because I've put em on and forgot em. NO worries at all. I'd like something with the same sort of quality with the lift.

Okay, so the questions:

1. How bad will I blow through ball joints with 6" of lift using Fabtech spindles/coils/A-arms?

2. What size tires can I fit with JUST Fabtech spindles, but in an 18" size? Fabtech's site says 265/75/16 with a 3" lift, and I'm dumb and can't figure out what size that relates to in an 18.

Thanks!
 

·
thats right
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
4 inch spindles sound like your best option. you can fit a 285/75 tire on a 16x8 rim(4.5 inch Backspacing) with MINIMAL trimming to the air damn. almost nothing. it fits great and looks killer
 

·
Later, Tony
Joined
·
7,265 Posts
Jeff said:
4 inch spindles sound like your best option. you can fit a 285/75 tire on a 16x8 rim(4.5 inch Backspacing) with MINIMAL trimming to the air damn. almost nothing. it fits great and looks killer
Yep, it will look like a 4x4 with a tbar crank. Thats the best looking setup for the price :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool... thanks for the replies.

So, what does a 265/75/16 correlate to as far as an 18 inch wheel and tire combo?
 

·
Senior Military Member
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
mvoelker said:
Cool... thanks for the replies.

So, what does a 265/75/16 correlate to as far as an 18 inch wheel and tire combo?
a 265/75/16 is a 31" tall tire 10" wide for a 16" rim. Im not into 18" rims so i have no idea what is out there for 18" rims as far as tires go. And you do NOT need 3" of lift to fit 265/75/16's.
 

·
Senior Military Member
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Andy said:
Idk, It would probly be close on a 2wd 1/2 ton.
my mom had 265's on stock rims on her 01 burban and now 265 x 17's on her 04 tahoe both are 4x2 no rubbing at all anywhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. I drove to my dad's an took a pic of his truck. Check it:





That's a 285/60/18a on a F150 with a 2" DROP in the rear. By the powers of Google, I've determined that his wheel/tire combo are 31.5 inches tall. That should fit with 3" lift spindles NO PROBLEM, yeah? I'm wondering if I could go just a TAD bigger than those, maybe another 1/2 inch to go to a 32" tall setup? I don't need 33s.
 

·
...
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
my mom had 265's on stock rims on her 01 burban and now 265 x 17's on her 04 tahoe both are 4x2 no rubbing at all anywhere
2wd suburbans and tahoes sit as high as a 4wd silverados.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Andy said:
2wd suburbans and tahoes sit as high as a 4wd silverados.......
You sure its not the other way around? The 4x4 burban we had at philmont sat really low. In fact we hid the 4x4 switches and everyone thought it was a 2wd. It didn't look like it could fit those tires on it. Then again, what do I know :crazy:
 

·
...
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
Whifflebat said:
You sure its not the other way around? The 4x4 burban we had at philmont sat really low. In fact we hid the 4x4 switches and everyone thought it was a 2wd. It didn't look like it could fit those tires on it. Then again, what do I know :crazy:
are you talkin nbs? We used to have one and it was level with a friends z71 silvy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
I had a buddy in lubbock running 265-75-16 on 16x8's on his stock 2wd. It looked stuffed but didnt rub at all, personally rode in it so i know it worked on his. Now every truck is different so it may work on one while another will rub.

Are you wanting to run his same setup on your truck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, not his same setup, but I like the look of the 18s with an offroad tire... I'm not a big fan of the big tires on 15s or 16s... Hold on, lemme dig up a pic:



I like that look right there... but how could I do that with 18s instead of the 16s? Would the 265/60/18 work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I'm not as hardcore as half of the people in here, so i dont know from personal experience, but i was looking around an i think you could do that with a 265/40R18 or 265/35R18. i dont see why it wouldnt fit. it'd look way low-riderish though... well, until you lift it enough to go with bigger off-roading tires.
 

·
GMFS Enforcer
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
mvoelker said:
Okay, so my truck is dumped right now, and I'm going to toss a lift onto it.

For now, I'm thinking of going with just a Fabtech spindle in front, and like a 1.5" block in back. Before you all jump in, I know that will just make it look like a 4wd pretty much, but since I have to get rims and tires too I'd like to save a few bucks on the lift right now.

Now, I was all set to go ahead and get the Upper Control Arm + Coils later, but reading Klem's post in the big 2wd lift thread, I'm wary of doing that because I don't really want to blow through ball joints. I've been really happy with my DJM drop components, because I've put em on and forgot em. NO worries at all. I'd like something with the same sort of quality with the lift.

Okay, so the questions:

1. How bad will I blow through ball joints with 6" of lift using Fabtech spindles/coils/A-arms?

2. What size tires can I fit with JUST Fabtech spindles, but in an 18" size? Fabtech's site says 265/75/16 with a 3" lift, and I'm dumb and can't figure out what size that relates to in an 18.

Thanks!
Personally, I would go with the 285/60/18 tire with the coil and upper a-arm first. That way when you go bigger, all you have to do is add a spindle. Oh yeah, with above mentioned tire and the coil lift, the truck will look awsome cuz it won't have that "stuffed" look. As far as ball joints, go with either Fabtech ball joints, or a MOOG Balljoint. These are some of the best balljoints to buy, and you wont have to worry about them as long as you KEEP THEM GREASED!!! Shoot a couple squirts of grease in them every time you change your oil, and you will be fine. Hope this helps. :rocking: :D
 

·
GMFS Enforcer
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
Oh yeah, when you add the spindle later (if you go that route), you can then go with 325/60/18 tires, which are 33.35 inches tall and 12.79 inches wide. Both tire sizes mentioned are available from Nitto, and a few others I am sure. :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top