GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have the opertunity to buy one of these VERY cheap off of a friends dad who has a machine shop and doesnt need it anymore. Im no master welder and couldnt even come close to utilizing the capabilities of this machine yet but im very temptde to pick it up from him later this year. It only needs 1 phase power so I coudl run it in my garage......

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/syncrowave_350_lx/

·
scooby dooby doo!
26 Posts
Sweet, but I hope you are getting it alot cheaper than $4,200.00, Ouch!!! And I felt bad about spending $200.00 on my Lincoln Mig welder.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can probably pick it up for about $500 - its 2 years old or so I think

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Its a good thing to have. Get some scrap metal and practice laying beads, make some abstract art and stuff and just have at it. It will make a difference. Knowing how to weld has its positives.

Don't try to make money doing it though...really messes with your eyesight and respitory system after awhile.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can weld fine, just thats a VERY advanced TIG welder. Im sure I could lay a decent bead with it, just not take advantage of the full potential of that machine.... yet...

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
rolll cage

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Go for it man...i know you could always use somethin like that...

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
let me get this straight... you can get a $4200 400amp miller tig welder for $500... get off the internet and buy the damn thing!

seriously that's a hell of a deal, and miller makes excellent welders. i don't know what i'd ever need a tig for, especially one that big, but for that cheap i wouldn't pass it up. i have a lincoln SP-175 mig, it's rated up to 175 amps but i've never had the amperage turned past between D and E (goes to to like J) so i'm only using a little more than 1/3 its power to weld 1/4" and 3/8" plate, etc. all this talk of welders makes me want to go make a skidplate to replace that damn plastic thing GM calls a skidplate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go for it!! Especially if it has all the running gear. Make sure the high frequency works, and that it comes with the torch, and foot pedal. You can also stick weld with that machine, but you can't do mig work with it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dude, if you don't want it tell him I'll buy it and I'll drive my ass over there and pick it up myself! Oh, I'll bring your spare tire/wheel too :crazy:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i think i may get it later this year. Its got everything, the pedels, torch, tanks you name it. Its not even that used, they bought 2 of them for one project and then havnt used them since.Now they do more machineing work and dont need both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Start the bidding war,, I'l go 525 and drive my happy ass from portland to pick it up:LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts