GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on colormatching my truck ( sanding and painting stock plastic ) and would like to know the best way to take the caps off the mirrors. Mine are chrome, but I plan on switching them w/ my dads off his 04 so I can sand and paint them. Also, what is the best way to take off/apart the actual housing to sand/paint that? Thanks for the help guys

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Grab a screw driver and a pocket knife. I had to pry the cap up a little bit and try and cut the tape the best I could (you will of course need some more double sided tape to reapply them again). You can try and be careful like I was and get the caps off without breaking the clips. You just have to take it slow and figure out with way to pry. If you don't care about the clips (again, make sure you have the extra double sided tape to reapply...esp. if you break the clips) just start prying. You'll hear all four clips snap and the cap should be off. I was going to write a tech article for this, but my explanation is horrible plus it hard to take pictures of this all. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the back side of the cap so you get a better idea of the clips.

If anything needs to be clarified please ask.

:bowtie:

(Oh BTW, I'll sell you my textured black mirror caps off my 04, if you want to keep the mirror caps on your dad's truck.)

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Slammedchevy01 said:
we sell white painted ones factory gm ..... www.streetinspiredkustoms.com :D
lol...duh. I forgot to mention that. I guess I was thinking he wanted the textured black and he wasn't painting them (but then again you guys sell those too).

Anyway, that is how you would take them off, wouldn't you? I've done two trucks now, and both of them I've been pretty much in the dark on how to go about doing it. Is there a better way?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Yea if ya break em you can always glue em back on or just put the double sided tape on :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys, I planned on leaving them chrome, but my dad wants the chrome and I think all white looks better.

Now, how would I take the whole mirror off to sand and paint that? Is there screws under the door panel?

Thanks, the pics helped, know I won't go crazy and brake the clips

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
3 10 mm bolts under the sail panel (and one little plug if they are power)........had a dude hit my mirror with his and it broke it housing and all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts