GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So my rear view mirror fell off when I went to swap it for a new one at the Charlotte meet yesterday. I had to fix it roughly 4 years ago I remember, and didn't have any issues then. I bought a kit from vatozone yesterday and tried it, following the directions to a T. Let it set maybe 30 minutes and as soon as I stuck the mirror up there it fell off. :wtf: So I head over to NAPA and pick up a Permatex kit since it should be a little better, right? Well I get up this morning and throughly clean the windshield first and then follow all the directions on the kit exactly. It's been setting up since maybe 9am, in the shade. I go out a few minutes ago and test it to see if it was stuck decent, and it it falls right off. :rofljest: Idk if it's too hot or whatever, but this is annoying as shit. I've done it before with no issues. Am I missing something or what?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
those kits suck balls. Clean window and metal clip off real good. Mark outside of windshield with a straight line to glue clip back on. Use J&B weld or that PC 7. Hold the bracket in place with painter's blue tape while it dries overnight. Put mirror back on next day - that shit will never fall off again!

Mr. 960

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm half-tempted to try the Krazy Glue option. SOmeone mentioned the ambient temperature (99) with the humidity about the same was inhibiting the adhesive from curing. IDK if that's true or not though.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
those kits suck balls. Clean window and metal clip off real good. Mark outside of windshield with a straight line to glue clip back on. Use J&B weld or that PC 7. Hold the bracket in place with painter's blue tape while it dries overnight. Put mirror back on next day - that shit will never fall off again!

Mr. 960
Might be the best option. JB Weld is some awesome stuff!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
oh - I forgot to mention. The excess glue that oozes out can be cleaned off with a paper towel dampened in alcohol. Once the bracket is fully cured, clean the rest of the residue with a single edge razor blade.

Mr. 960

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.