GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after last weekends CalROCS judging I found that I want the option of doing front and rear burns. A front burn is when you put the rear tcase output in neutral and front in low or hi and lock the rear brakes up and use the front tires to drag the front end around to make nice tight turns on a dime, rear is same thing but using rear tires...

Anyway, not wanting to spend $1800 on an Atlas t-case I'm going to use a Ford NP205 and modify it to work. Also going to build my own doubler in front of the 205 so I can have 2 to 1, 2.72 to 1, or 5.44 to 1 low range.

So, this is my next project, I'm gathering parts right now. Ordered up the input shaft conversion parts and have a line on a ford 205 about 2 hours away. Should be an interesting project and I'm planning on doing a tech article on the 205 to help you guys that want to put one in your late model for an SFA conversion, seems to be alot of confusion on the input spline configurations and adapter bolt patterns.

Oh, I can't wait to pull into Burger King, order my food then get to that tight left turn. Plop it in front wheel low range and do a front burn around the corner smoking the fronts so I can get to the 1st window to pay without having to back up :LOL:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive doner some researech on this and will be doing it one day. I had a ford 205 even but ended up selling it a month or so back.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Crazy cool idea man...i know you will be able to fab up the tripple stick no problem...that should be a walk in the park compared to some of the stuff you have done to that truck...i would like to see a good write up on that.

another thing i was thinkin about...u said one case would be 2:1...you think it would be possible to have duel cases like that and be able to run one case for the rear in low range all the time so you could run bigger tires but keep lower gears like 3.08s since they are stronger than some of the lower gears?? it would be cool to run like 38s, have some 3.08 gears, but have the motor spin them like they were 6.16s and still have another low range?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could run a normal doubler setup and just leave one of the cases in low range. Like a 203/205 doubler, you could leave the 203 in low range all the time and the 205 in 2hi for the street and you would still have an extra reduction. Theres not really a problem with 5.13's in a d60 and 14 bolt though, there plenty strong, but if you go to something like a d70 rear and d60 front and want 7.17's you may run into some strength problems.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
yeah...i was just thinkin that you could have some already built axels but were runnin like maybe 35s and 4.11s...then get some 49s...lol...low range w/ 2hi at the same time, and be able to keep the 4.11s and still have NO prob turnin the huge tires...hell, could prob roast them off like that...

·
Registered
162 Posts
willyswanter said:
So after last weekends CalROCS judging I found that I want the option of doing front and rear burns. A front burn is when you put the rear tcase output in neutral and front in low or hi and lock the rear brakes up and use the front tires to drag the front end around to make nice tight turns on a dime, rear is same thing but using rear tires...

Anyway, not wanting to spend $1800 on an Atlas t-case I'm going to use a Ford NP205 and modify it to work. Also going to build my own doubler in front of the 205 so I can have 2 to 1, 2.72 to 1, or 5.44 to 1 low range.

So, this is my next project, I'm gathering parts right now. Ordered up the input shaft conversion parts and have a line on a ford 205 about 2 hours away. Should be an interesting project and I'm planning on doing a tech article on the 205 to help you guys that want to put one in your late model for an SFA conversion, seems to be alot of confusion on the input spline configurations and adapter bolt patterns.

Oh, I can't wait to pull into Burger King, order my food then get to that tight left turn. Plop it in front wheel low range and do a front burn around the corner smoking the fronts so I can get to the 1st window to pay without having to back up :LOL:
Yea man, I am putting a divorced Chevy np205 behind my np241(electric shift), and having dual stick on the floor, and a button on the dash. That is if I decide to go with the D60, and get real nasty with the K10 axles...

·
Buck Nekkid
50 Posts
willyswanter said:
What are you going to use for the splitter box? Planetaries from your BW case or a NP241?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a few different cases laying around. Most likely going to use planetary set from a BW4401 and machine my own housing for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts