GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since they were both in the last two weeks I'll just stick them together in one post.

First off, Moab:

We headed to moab for CK5's Blazer Bash 2006 and it was a great time as always. This year was a bit different because I actually brought some nor cal peoples with me includin that las vegas cracker.

The weather was awesome on Saturday and Sunday but Thursday and Friday was the worse rain Moab had seen in 35 years according to the locals. There were floods, land slides in town, no power, etc and camping suxored. Plus it made cracker wish he had a full cab again...

We arrived Thursday evening after the 747 mile drive to a nice rainy slick rock campground. There were numerous creeks (read rivers) running through camp but it wasn't horrible. Climbed in the Dodge and went to sleep.

Friday morning the rain was letting up but we headed to hells revenge anyway. We needed to fill up on the way so we did:

The rain wasn't too bad actually so we kept on. This is normally a nice little sandy area but got a little wet from the rain:

111-1164_IMG.jpg

We got past this point and to the top of a rather tall hill and called it quits because it strted raining so hard that we could'nt see. Plus there were 40+ mph winds and it was just plain cold. So we headed back down to screw around on dump bump. Kevin broke his front shaft quickly, Ryan's 6.0 was running on 4 cylinders, so I gave it a try and went up:

This is a waterfall near Hells Revenge from the rain:

Did a few little donuts and stuff in the wet sand and headed back to camp. We quickly headed to the local ace hardware to pick up some tarps to keep things at camp dry.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Luckily when Saturday morning came around the weather was great. No rain and the sun was out. So we decided to head to Pritchett Canyon. We blasted through the trail pretty quick without many problems. Cracker had some fun running a little off camber spot which took me winching his cage to keep him on all fours. No problems though.

This is the spot cracker had trouble in, this pic gives a better angle of the off camberness:

112-1206_IMG.jpg

111-1197_IMG.jpg

On Sunday we headed to Golden Spike. Few pics:

MOAB_22.gif

MOAB_6.gif

Then came Monday. Rain was back again, but that doesn't matter, we were headed home. Got about 40 miles out of Moab and Ryan blew a trailer tire. No worries, had a spare. Trip went pretty uneventful and the nor cal guys decided to take my route since the norther route was possibly snow covered. Around Mesquite, NV Ryan blew another trailer tire and a spare for one of the k5's was installed.

1009061753.gif

Didn't work great so we decided to spend the night in vegas and get 4 new tires in the morning. We stayed at the Luxor and had some good Buffet that night. Tori, Bryan, and I went to the "Bodies" exhibit and the Titanic exhibit on Tuesday morning while everyone else was getting tires. Tuesday morning we wanted to get out quick so we resorted to camping in the Luxor parking lot:

1010060934.gif

Made some quick breakfast and we were gone.

Made it the rest of the way without issue, it was a good time, I highly recommend it.

Here are all the pics, many of them:

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/surpip/moab/?start=0

http://community.webshots.com/album/554797362aRNRbd

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sr175/my_photos

Hammers trip report coming on next post.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Looks fun, next year we might have group making a trip out to moab - we should see if we cant line our schedules up to meet out there.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I talked to a buddy who went out there last week. Appearantly its worth it to drive all the way from Augusta to moab too...MAYBE one year for me, but no time soon...lol

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty, hammers was great as always. Went to my so cal clubs Big Dawg Safari event. Ryan, Kevin, and I arrived at around 3am Saturday morning and everyone else was already there and asleep. We quickly went to our tents and to sleep.

Saturday around 7 we got up and unloaded the trucks getting ready to run the days trail which was Fischer Mountain Trail. A very east trail setup so everyone can run it from stock to modified.

But... I decided to go get some cell phone service to make a call and on the way back thought I'd whip a donut as always. Well, usually when I do donuts I start from a complete stop. Well this time I was going 20-30 mph...

Seconds after it came to a rest:

It was pretty fun actually... I came into the donut and got on it and the right front tire cought the dirt and over it went. It hit hard on the pass. side front fender (well the exo over it) and that catapulted the truck back into the air so when the wheels went up the roof was actually a foot off the ground then it landed hard again on the drivers side a-pillar area knocking it down about an inch and then it continued over to it's drivers side and then onto the tires 1/2 way then back down to the drivers side again. So it was a 3/4 complete roll. I remember the pass side hitting, the roof hitting, then my side hitting. Then I heard the tires munching something so I put it in park and shut it off and got out. Felt like a roller coaster :D

So we flopped it back over and found my fuel pump had fallen off the fuel pickup tube in the tank, fixed that and I was running again with no damage a all other than sheet metal. Well, until I tried to use my on board air. The roll ripped my air tank out of the truck and broke the 3/8" brass pipe fittings connecting it. Got that fixed pretty quick to and off to the trail run.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trail only had one hard spot, right at the beginning and the stocker trucks were having issues because they were tilting out torward the edge:

This was the half way stopping point and of course it started raining, oh well. Poser Pics!

We headed back to camp after the run and ate some food and headed to backdoor. This is basically a really short trail by camp that had a rather large waterfall to climb.

Basically everyone had to winch up it other than me. My wheelbase helps me get up it pretty easily but it's tough on shorter rigs.

Raffle was next, mmm, truck nuts:

So anyway, headed home this morning and no problems. Just thought I'd give an update.

Video of the hammers trip might be up tonight. Moab will be middle of the week.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Looks like a blast. Nice trucks.

I really love the scenary... I can't get enough of the desert.

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
thats badass, I thought that was Dark E's truck

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
thats badass, I thought that was Dark E's truck
lol

great pics Jason. I sometimes fear I would not have the balls to put my truck through that (i mean, if it was capable enough)

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
Thats a pretty sick movie jason. You made that climb look almost easy compared to everyone else

1 - 20 of 45 Posts