GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use the synthetic 5w 30 or the 10w 30??? Is it true the 10w 30 is for 0 degress and 5w 30 is for all outside temps..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: modil 1

Syn oil is the best you can use for any eng. there is no carbon build up.
I changed my oil on my 04 when i got it home and could not beleve it the factory oil that was in it. was like water. When you change your oil with syn, make sure you use a good filter. also your pressure will be a few pounds more, nothing to worry about.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

I use 5W30 in my rides.

·
04sierra4.3
38 Posts

Stocklook said:
I changed my oil on my 04 when i got it home and could not beleve it the factory oil that was in it. was like water. When you change your oil with syn, make sure you use a good filter. also your pressure will be a few pounds more, nothing to worry about.
Can you give me an example of a good filter? Also is a syn blend even comparable to a full syn?

·
[>
3,255 Posts

Mobil 1 5W 30 is what I use. Good Stuff IMO.

The diff between the two is that 5w30 is lighter when COLD. It gets to the moving parts faster in colder temps than 10w30 would. But once it is at full temp they are the same weight.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts

ive used valvoline full synthetic on every ride ive had. im gonna go mobil one with this one. i got 6 quarts of the 5w30 ready right now. i usually dont keep trucks long enough to get the benefits of full synthetic, but i might have to keep this one for a while. so mobil 1 it is. :head:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Wix is a good filter, I get mine at O'reilys. Carquest premium filters are good too (made by wix). Don't use fram, they suck.

Just switched from Pennzoil to Valvoline in mine. I'd think about synthetic, but I have 165,000 miles and don't feel like messing with any problems that might arise from switching.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I use Purolater filters...

·
Registered
703 Posts

Stocklook said:
They dont use high dollar syn oil in a brand new truck because you are not supposed to break an engine in with synthetic...its too slippery

·
Registered
388 Posts
What's the rec break-in 500? I put 600 before i did it, also vett's come from the factory with Mobil 1 and i know most of the lub's on the trucks are syn's, Please Advise

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Stocklook said:
What's the rec break-in 500? I put 600 before i did it, also vett's come from the factory with Mobil 1 and i know most of the lub's on the trucks are syn's, Please Advise

Here's what I do to new motors... (depends on if off dealer lot or built then installed)

1. Change oil ASAP when comes from dealer or after the motor is first started and oil pressure confirmed. There is a LOT of nasty crap in there.

2. With new oil in after first start or taken from dealer, go drive about and romp the motor a few times to help seat the rings also put it in a manual low gear such as 1st or 2nd and give it about 60-80% throttle and do not upshift...let the vehicle slow down via drag/resistance (vac) to seat rings. Vary driving habits.

2. Change again around 500 miles, still more crap floating about in a new motor as bearings/rings seat properly. This is cheap insurance for your motor.

3. Change it again around 1500 miles, same rules apply for 2. Just drive normally avoid excessive beating of the motor.

4. Lastly at 2500 miles consider your motor broken in, then is when I'd switch to synthetic. And if you go to syn, do NOT change it at 3-4K...it's a complete and total waste of money. This stuff lasts and lasts. There's some in my mother's LS400 with ~2800mi that looks NEW still.

·
Fat, bald guy.
671 Posts
I agree with Hitman don't change it at 3-4k, I have over 5000 miles on this oil change it it doesnt look bad at all, probally get another 2-3000 out of it if im lucky! lol BTW I use Mobil 1 5w 30

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Shit, I change my filter at 5K on the M1. The with the new filter I prefill it with most of a quart and add the rest to the crankcase...I've done that for 15K mi...

No problems what so ever...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It makes me wonder if anyone actually knows anything about oil. The difference between 10-30 and 5-30 is the viscosity of the oil at hot running temperature.

The first number (10 or 5 in this instance) is the viscosity of the oil at peak running temperature (operating temp.) The second number (30 in this case) is the viscosity at cold temperature (like in the morning after the truck has been sitting all night).
10/30 synthetic and 10/30 petroleum based have the same viscosity. One is natural, one is man made.
Depending on where you live, depends on the weight of oil you should be using. Look in your owners manual (yes it's there) to find out what the manufacture recommends for what temperature ranges.
Oil filter play a major part in oil's performance. Why buy a cheap no-name filter if you're going to be spending $20-$30 on oil? Do your research. You might not want to change the oil every 3k (synthetics are made to run 5k-7k depending) but filters are not. Change your filter every 3k and just top off your oil as needed.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, I run 5-30 as it's thinner at temp...could play a role in better fuel economy too.

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just changed my oil and bought one of those K&N oil filters has anybody used the K&N before? I live were it gets cold but I use the 10w 30 Mobil 1...May switch to 5w 30 have not had my truck but 4 months but it has 94,000 on it .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts