GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a few pics of the stock intake I modified. I removed the huge ugly air baffles and fiberglassed the holes up. I have a K&N filter in the stock box. Not sure if it will improve anything but those ugly baffles are gone.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
That actually isnt a baffle, if does have a purpose.. Its an air reserve for more torque when needed. Its called the Holtz bladder or something like that.

Looks good though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if they have a use, why do all of the aftermarket CAI units just have a straight through airflow and say they improve power. Just wanted to know if I am better off with the stock setup or with the modified one. I have both. Let me know what you think.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Probably won't see much difference either way. Just use that.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
The aftermarket CAI tubes are larger than the stock piece so they flow more CFM. They are also more of a direct shot. Since my rig had a clutch fan, the stock tube was a POS since it was flat, smashed and crammed to get to fit. The bladder that hangs down off the bottom is what is the holts bladder for throttle response and such. I think the Outlaw CAIs used to have them, but I cant find one anymore.

What did yours look like stock?

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
The bottom bladder is the good one, the top one is usually the air silencer. You could either and probably wont notice a difference. Use whatever is prettier :)

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
My Volant doesn't have a bladder?

Looks like some smooth work there on that OE tube. Definitely looks like a better piece than our intakes from the trucks with clutch fans, the smashed pancake mess that Country Boy was talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts