GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a little more room in the fender are on my '86 C10. I saw a reference in a magazine a month or so ago about sectioningin an inch out of the arms to get a little more room. Anyone tried this or have any pictures?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I am looking to get a little more room in the fender are on my '86 C10. I saw a reference in a magazine a month or so ago about sectioningin an inch out of the arms to get a little more room. Anyone tried this or have any pictures?
how much more room do you need? i'm on a 29 inch tall tire and i barely grab the fender turned almost all the way. what size tire are you running? what size z?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning to run a 265/35-22 but right now I have the stock size 15's on there (no idea what size they are). I have a 2" Z but remember my fenders are also 1 7/8" lower up front than stock. With the stock tires on there I barely clear the fender lip when the truck is layed out. I plan to trim the fender lip and run some round bar in there so that will give me a little room but not much.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
numatik_07 section his lower arms.

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I did. Actually I cut a little more than 1" because I welded a plate between them. When I cut 1" out they didn't line up good enough for a but weld. Then I welded some extra pieces to the bottom to strengthen since that's the side that would try to separate. The only mistake I made was I did not re-angle the bj. So now my lowers max out as I lay. You want pictures?

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
Pictures would be great. Did you only do the lowers? If so, why?
I'll get pics in a minute
he did lowers and raised and recessed uppers
Yes. I only did the lowers cause shortening the uppers screws up geometry bad even if you do the lowers also. I made a full size 2 dimentional model to show what different changes to arm length and location do to camber. Everytime I shortened the uppers it was bad camber. So I recessed the uppers into the frame 1/2". It turned out nice and rides great. I don't know of anybody that has done it on your frame.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I am planning to run a 265/35-22 but right now I have the stock size 15's on there (no idea what size they are). I have a 2" Z but remember my fenders are also 1 7/8" lower up front than stock. With the stock tires on there I barely clear the fender lip when the truck is layed out. I plan to trim the fender lip and run some round bar in there so that will give me a little room but not much.
I totaled space on the fact that you lowered you fender lips. Have you contacted some body like porterbuilt for a shorter set or are you wanting to do this yourself? I never really looked into shortening the arms since I plan on running a dropmember and some tubulars which pull them in a pretty decent amount. My builder stepped and radiused my arms. Ill give him a call and see what he's thoughts are on shortening them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at suicide doors kit this morning and their kit narrows the track width by 2.25". I sent Jason a PM to see if I could order just their upper arm brackets because they move the mounting point up and in from what I can tell. Then if he can tell me how far they moved in the lower arm mounting point then I can just section that much out of my lower arm and adjust the ball joint angle as mentioned above. The upper arm mounting would be the hardest part so if I can get those brackets it should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That's not a bad idea. You should give nate at porterbuilt a call too thou. I bet he'd answer the phone in the first few rings if you call the shop. Not that I have anything against sd, I actually use a lot of their stuff, but I feel nate is a better c10 resource. Sd just took all his designs and changed how they were made and call it their own. He knows the fronts on these trucks like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
if you want a quick turn around thou i would call nate. he gets so many emails it takes alittle bit of time to get back.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered the upper arm/bag brackets and they should arrive on Friday. They will move my upper arm up 3" and in 1-1/8". Instead of sectioning the lower arm I am going to modify the stock crossmember to move the mounting location up an in just like the upper arm.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Make sure you take lots of pics like usual....

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I ordered the upper arm/bag brackets and they should arrive on Friday. They will move my upper arm up 3" and in 1-1/8". Instead of sectioning the lower arm I am going to modify the stock crossmember to move the mounting location up an in just like the upper arm.
holy crap! 3 inches up!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those are the measurements Jason at Suicide Doors gave me. Same as the raised cross member they sell. I figure I will just make my own raised cross member. They move it up so far because of how low the lower arms are on these trucks. There cross member, along with the porterbilt unit, eliminate the need to Z the frame. To bad I already did that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts