GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i have a wheel & tire sponsor now I've been really thinking about 22's. The question is what all mods are necassary up front to lay? I kinda wanna stick with 20's in the front since I just got done with my inner fenders. So what about the rear? I have245/40/20's right now and they have about 1/2" before they touch theplace where the bedside and fender well are connected, so will I have to tub it to lay on 22's?

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
If you don't want to sit on the tire, then yes, you will have to tub your fenderwells.....

Oh, and some 265/35/R22's or 285/30/R22 tire is a good one to go with.
Make sure you get the correct backspacing on the wheels so you won't have to shorten your axle.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah depending on who your wheel sponsor is, you'll have to either narrow the axle, or take a ton of measurements to be sure. Here's what I did. Although I am channelled to lay body, a lot of the things I had to do apply here too.

I'm running 22X9.5" Rozzi Deeps with +15mm offset.

Front:

Tubbed firewall, changed to a 7" booster, relocated fuse box, cut out fenderwells (even when laying frame) and pushed the battery all the way to the front. Wiring harness was relocated for the bodydrop, but it was close when laying frame. I also had to ditch my e-brake.

Back:

Narrowed the axle 4". That allowed me to clear the bedsides, plus it looks pretty good the way it tucks in there. Not too much, not too little. Fenderwells were cut out, and I'm building new ones now. Be careful if you do that, the fenderwells are VERY close. Check out Introwheels ride, he did it without cutting, but he's running billets. If that's your sponsor deal, or if its a billet co, then you're good.

BTW, when you get done, gimme a call and I'll shoot that bitch for ya :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
also your hood hinges might need to modified

i didnt know anything about a 7" bosster being needed for laying frame?

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
tuckin22 said:
also your hood hinges might need to modified

i didnt know anything about a 7" bosster being needed for laying frame?
I think he had to do that because he's bd'ed on 22's, but I'm not too sure... :think:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
kdubaz said:
Yeah depending on who your wheel sponsor is, you'll have to either narrow the axle, or take a ton of measurements to be sure. Here's what I did. Although I am channelled to lay body, a lot of the things I had to do apply here too.

I'm running 22X9.5" Rozzi Deeps with +15mm offset.

Front:

Tubbed firewall, changed to a 7" booster, relocated fuse box, cut out fenderwells (even when laying frame) and pushed the battery all the way to the front. Wiring harness was relocated for the bodydrop, but it was close when laying frame. I also had to ditch my e-brake.

Back:

Narrowed the axle 4". That allowed me to clear the bedsides, plus it looks pretty good the way it tucks in there. Not too much, not too little. Fenderwells were cut out, and I'm building new ones now. Be careful if you do that, the fenderwells are VERY close. Check out Introwheels ride, he did it without cutting, but he's running billets. If that's your sponsor deal, or if its a billet co, then you're good.

BTW, when you get done, gimme a call and I'll shoot that bitch for ya :)
did you not have to section your control arms? or do you just have enough NC to tuck the rim

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yeah sorry, I forgot about the booster situation and the hood hinges.

Hinges were gone, and I was still on tranny x-member at the time. I have no idea how you'd keep those.

As for the booster, I did the smaller booster with the bodydrop. However if you have wicked negative camber, you may hit the booster anyways. My truck has McGaughy's spindles on them, so the camber wasn't that bad. With the bodydrop though, I get JUST enough camber to clear the fenders.

That also means I didn't have any issues with the control arms. All I've done to them is replace the balljoints that were trashed before I got it.

Hell I didn't even have to cut out that factory bumpstop mount. I'm juiced, so it wasn't an issue with hitting anything.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, when you get done, gimme a call and I'll shoot that bitch for ya
For free? Sure thing I'll let ya do some free body work on it and you can be my sponsor too lol :anitoof:

Kdubaz do ya have any pics of your truck, I wanna see it and the engine compartment, I don't care if it is green/red.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I beleive you will have to do some serious firewall mods to fit them as well....IMO it's a lot of hacking to fit wheels that big. Even for a show truck I think they're too big.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I really don't wanna put 22's up front. Right now the 20's wrapped in the 245/40's are pretty close to the firewall, I don't really care about cutting into the firewall unless it's getting body dropped.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get sponsored by a wheel company. A buisness that sells wheels and tires sponsored me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hey when I said "Shoot" I mean shoot pics. I'm a freelancer for Street Trucks, and a bunch of other mags. :)

I'll work on pics, but I need someone to host them if you want them in this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts