GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm bought to get crunk on my truck. I'm either wanting to run 22's all the way around or 22's and 24's and also lay body. I've seen the blue ext can IF did that laid on 24's and I thought it looked pretty good. Anyways what all mods are needed to make 22's fit up front and also lay rocker? I know I'll have to cut into the firewall (anyone got any pics?) and make a new set of fenders, but what else?
What about the back? Will I need to shorten my axle on 22's? I know I will for the 24's. The only reason I wouldn't be getting the 24's is the $$$. I have a wheel and tire sponsor so I can get them wholesale, but I'm a cheap ass so it'll probally be 22's all the way around. I'm almost ready to call this season quits and just get started on it. Also with a stock floor will I need to raise my tranny hump or anything else?
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
820 Posts
With 22's out back you won't have to shorten your rearend but i know you will with 24's. You will have to build a new tranny hump with a stock floor. I know you will need to cut the firewall but i'm not sure how much, that's about the i know about that project. Good luck man.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Talk to kbudaz. He has a channeled sierra on 22's. If you get the right amount of backspacing for your 22's, you can get away without narrowing the axle. 23's and 24's is a must, I believe. I believe you have to raise the part where the gas tank is under the cab also, but I don't know if there is anything else. I don't really like how the IF truck on 24's was built, but I'm sure you've heard all the comments on that one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really like how the IF truck on 24's was built, but I'm sure you've heard all the comments on that one.
I've heard under the hood looks like shit, but that's about it. What else is wrong with it? I thought I had to shorten my upper control arms also? So with a stockfloor I will still need to get new carpet? I've got alot of bodywork coming up to keep me busy and make some money so I should have enough to do the truck atleast by the end of the fall.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I've seen some pics of the frame, and it looks like it was hacked, especially around the UCA's. JMO, though. I don't know if you have to get new carpet, but if you are raising the transmission hump, my gess is you might have to? Don't really know. Sounds like you're going to have some fun. I wish I had more experience with the welder to start on my bd, but I honestly don't. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of the NBS body dropless chassis I've seen done still has the stock carpet, but I'm like you I don't see how they can keep it if the hump has to be raised.
I love welding and doing body work. It pisses me off if I'm not doing it, I think it's so damn fun.
I just wanna lay body and tuck rim so fuckin bad.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Post some pics as your doin it. I really wanna bd my truck. I'm def puttin it on 22's. Layin body or not. Every Suv around here has 22's or 24's. Haven't seen a set of 20's on anything besides cars in a long while. Wish i had the dough some of these people got.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
personally i like the look of staggered wheels but only on longer trucks ie ext cab

i would go 22's all the way around on a single cab as far as relocating everything i think you got that covered with your new fenders but your going to have to notch the firewall and on almost every chrome rim you will have to either flare out the bedsides or shortin the axle also you will need shorter control arms

kdubz has the scoop though and he has posted many times what all is nesasarry but i think thats all on the "other site"

get crunk :head:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got enough tub to run 24's in back, but they don't make a billet 24" and I don't like chrome and don't want to narrow the rear or flare bedsides. I keep thinking maybe one of the billet company's will step up and make a 24! Not sure that I could afford one though, because I'm sure a billet 24 would be $$$$$!!!!

Trey

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Seems like you have one bad itch to scratch on BD your truck Justin. :head:
Good luck on your progress. Keep us posted. :head2:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok here's the story.

My truck is channelled 2.5" on 22's. Std cab, '01, just like yours.

Up front here's what I did:

Replaced stock booster with hydrobooster (www.hydroboost.com)
ditched hood springs
tubbed firewall
relocated wiring harness up higher
relocated fuse box
relocated battery (in my case, just further towards the core support)
relocated overflow
electric fans
custom intake (Couldn't find one that I KNEW would fit)
cut cowl for motor clearance
ditched wipers (although I hear you can keep them, but I live in AZ so who cares)
ditched engine cover
McGaughy's spindles
reinforced front fenders with 1/4" round tubing

I didn't have to do shit to my steering either, which was a bonus.

Cab:
lifted sections for frame, since I channelled it
lifted floor for tranny
lifted floor for gas tank
lifted floor for driveshaft
notched floor for headers & o2 sensor
notched stock tranny heatshield -- it was hitting the body when I dropped it down

Out back:
parallel 4-link with panhard
narrowed axle 4"

So why 4" I talked to Danny from ST with that 6" BD NBS FSC on 22's, and he did that amount b/c of the way the body tapers in the rear. He's running 285/35 22's, and I'm running 265/35 22's. My wheels are 22X9.5's, with +15 mm offset. I didn't have to trim my fenderlip either.

24's... I have no idea. But go to town man :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
bagged01extcab said:
I've got enough tub to run 24's in back, but they don't make a billet 24" and I don't like chrome and don't want to narrow the rear or flare bedsides. I keep thinking maybe one of the billet company's will step up and make a 24! Not sure that I could afford one though, because I'm sure a billet 24 would be $$$$$!!!!

Trey
I actually talked to bryan aka introwheels and intro can make some billet 24's max backspacing is 8" (i think) so you might not need to shorten axle but then again you may, hard to tell since nobody has custom billet 24's.

i almost bought some but at the time i only had enough for some 22's so...

i plan on upgradeing to 24" billet all the way around when i bodydrop my truck later on maybe next year (gotta stay ahead of the game)

oh yea i think (not sure) boyd can make 24's too

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like you have one bad itch to scratch on BD your truck Justin.
I've never had an itch to do anything like this in my life!

Thanks alot Kdubaz ALOT! I already have about 3/4 of that done up front and the only thing I may have any troubles with is the tranny hump on the entire thing. I'm getting so friggin hype I wanna be the 1st fullsize to lay body anywhere around here, plus I'd love it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well yeah you have a lot done, but you're gonna have to ditch those pretty fenders you just built once you do 22's. THAT sucks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I know it does suck. Hopefully I can just sell them to someone else. I don't care to build another set, but I'd like to atleast make some money off of the ones I have now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts