GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm buying a 01 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0L and wanted to know of any mods to increase the hp/tq for towing. I will occassionally tow a 31' travel trailer that weighs about 8,700lbs.

Thanks

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Install the hemi mod :read:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Honestly, the first thing I would do for towing that thing is helper bags in the rear, after that I think youre biggest impact will come from 4.10 gears, and aside from that, probably a tune, and exhaust/headers

·
Multiple GMFS owner
2,098 Posts
Honestly, the first thing I would do for towing that thing is helper bags in the rear, after that I think youre biggest impact will come from 4.10 gears, and aside from that, probably a tune, and exhaust/headers
Check in the glove box, it may have 4.10s already, my halfton does and so does my girlfriends dads 01 3/4 ton

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Being a 2500 Suburban it will have either 3.73 or 4.10 no matter what. If he already has 4.10s, that's great, if 3.73 it's really not worth the $$ to upgrade to 4.10s unless he finds a takeout front/rear axle.

After that, a custom PCM tune (not a handheld tuner) really wakes up these LQ4 6.0s.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Helper bags aren't needed with a proper weight distributing hitch. :read:

A tune would be best, headers/exhaust won't do much to improve in areas where you really need it. Think about it, a 3/4 ton Suburban plus the long first gear in a 4L80 does not equal a rev monster. Stock manifolds and exhaust would be fine lugging along with it, unless you purely want more sound. Personally I'd much rather have the 8.1L vs the 6L pulling that much mass around, but the 6L will do it just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I know the 8.1L pulls better but this one is a sweet deal that I considering. I see that GM rates the 4.10 geared version 2,000lbs more for tow rating than the 3.73 version but I rather put the money in other areas if could. How much will a tune help (hp/tq)? I did a search and found Nelson and Black Bear that do tunes for this motor, any more places and which ones are highly regarded? I see they have headers and cat backs has anyone tried them or dyno'd their improvemnt?

Thanks

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Black Bear is the most commonly recommended on this site. I have had a Wait4me Performance tune for about 5 years now, and I am happy with the tune, made a noticeable difference, but wasn't the happiest with their customer service. I have seen dyno charts from either Nelson or Westers, can't remember, that showed a pretty solid 50hp gain from tune only. It is really detuned from the factory to be able to run 87 while pulling heavy loads with no pinging. A good tune with some advanced timing will really wake it up, although I would recommend running 93 when towing heavy with a tune like that.

I'm not sure about the 2500 burb exhaust, but the stock 2500HD 6.0 exhaust flows quite well already, and the stock manifolds are some of the best ever on a stock vehicle. With that said, headers are usually good for about another 15-20hp on top of that tune, but they are not so good for low end power that you desire for towing.

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
these things really pick up 50hp from a tune?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts