GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes I have a 2k Z71 ECSB in pewter not that any of that really matters. A couple of years ago some kid crashed into the side of my dads truck (which is now mine) anyway he was on a little yamaha 50 dirtbike and it made some dents and scratches in the drivers door. The kids parents paid to get it fixed and everything. The truck came from the factory with body colored side moldings and those were replaced by the body shop and now I want to remove the moldings for a cleaner look. I was wondering since they had to paint the new moldings would they put them back on the truck and paint everything at once or would they paint the molding sperate and then put them on cuz when I pull off the moldings I dont want to see primer or paint without clearcoat or something. The reason I ask is because I know bodyshops will cut corners and stuff to save a buck, and I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on this.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
They very well could have done what you said. It all depends on the shop. I guess you could always go and ask where the work was done if they typically remove the moldings before painting or if they do it all in one step. A few members have had nasty surprises when removing moldings due to previous paintwork where steps where skipped. Hopefully they took them off to paint.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I called the body shop and they said they paint and then put on the molding so I hope they are right I guess ill find out when I take off the moldings.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i took my molding off a couple weeks ago and i can now tell the passenger bed side was re painted :pissed: but its not too bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar situation on my 03. Passenger door was repainted and when I took off the moldings there was a paint line around them. Clearcoat and paint was all there and fine but it needs to have the line where the moldings where sanded and repainted. It isn't very noticeable but its there and needs to be fixed.. What I recomend is you take a heatgun to one corner of your molding and warm it up and very carefully pull back the corner just enough to reveal whats under the molding. Watch for the chrome on your molding if it has chrome on it. If you bend the molding it will crease that chrome and look like shit. I'd just check it out like that. Good luck man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts