GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv'e seen monitors in the center of the steering wheel on some super bling rides as i'm sure you have too........how do you do this with the airbag?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you get around the air bag light on the cluster if you eliminate the bag?????

·
Registered
136 Posts
theres a certain resistance you have to put in line with the airbag wire to make the light go out - measure the resistance if the bag itself first and then find a resistor within 5% of that value - did this in an s-10 about a month ago for a friend of mine

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you can talk to a GM tech, they actually have lil resistors for diognosing SRS problems. you could just clip that on and be done with it. they sell them in parts so all u would have to do is get the part# for your bag.. should be under 10 bucks i would think

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Ive seen it done. One of the guys over on blazinlow did it. just make a shell of the airbag , trim it, cut a hole in the middle for the tv hole, glass and mold it into the shell, sand, reglass, sand, reglass, sand sand and sand again till its smooth, make some brackets to hold it to the original mounts or make your own, curl up the power and signal wires in the column and have some pimpin fun

·
tell Sloan I said whatup
1,951 Posts
so is it impossible to keep the airbag and have the monitor?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
1_syk_c_air_a said:
so is it impossible to keep the airbag and have the monitor?

I think no.. If it went off you would have a face full of TV. That would not be good :crazy:

·
tell Sloan I said whatup
1,951 Posts
yeah that would probably hurt a little :banghead:

·
Registered
143 Posts
mounting the monitor in place of the airbag isnt a big issue - what I want to know is how they wire it. With all that twisting and movement in the steering column, a straight run of wires dont stand a chance of lasting. I believe that auto makers use a sort of rotating contact assembly to connect steering wheel controls to the column. Maybe installers are useing this and/or retrofitting one in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts