GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which kind of amp would be better to push my Kicker CVR 12"s....a mono or 2-channel amp? What are the pros and cons to each? Appreciate any input.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
What the ohms of the subs and what kind of enclosure (sealed or porter)? I recommend a class-d mono amp like the Kicker KX400.1/600.1 or JBL BP600.1.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
x6369x said:
What the ohms of the subs and what kind of enclosure (sealed or porter)? I recommend a class-d mono amp like the Kicker KX400.1/600.1 or JBL BP600.1.
:word: the jbl can do 600 @ 2ohm or 1ohm and anywhere inbetween

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x6369x said:
The subs are 2 ohms inside a sealed box.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x6369x said:
Are they 2 ohm DVC? Or are they 4 ohm DVC, and you have the VC's in parallel down to 2 ohms each?

They are 2-ohm DVC. VC? Sorry, not a big audio expert, but I'm learning. :insane:

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
so if they are the 2 ohm per coil, DVC subs, you either need an amp thats 2 ohm or 1/2 ohm mono stable or one thats 1 ohm or 4 ohm stereo stable. Most "mono" amps are ones that are already bridged internally and therefore only have one output channel. I did 2 of those same subs on the Power Acoustic LT 980/2 running at a 2 ohm bridged, and dam it hit hard!
btw
Some thing happens inside a radio. Ever wonder why you can almost never bridge a radio and the speaker outputs are high in the THD? They are bridged already and cant be bridged again, just like a 4 channel amp cant be bridged into 1 channel

·
Registered
520 Posts
Having a mono amp paralleled to 1 ohm (operates both voice coils) means having an amp stable at 1 ohm, which means alot of money. Don't have the time to see those amps that x6369x recommended, but you'll have to check into the capabilities. Good thing about mono amps: specific for bass applications, usually filter out lower frequencies that you can't here anyway (which could cause distortion), and some are built as if they all ready have capacitance to keep the amp running more efficient.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the BD is sweet
if you want one thats cheaper and is the same amp, still made by Fosgate, get the Lightning Audio BD1000! It retails for $279 but is the same amp inside

1 - 9 of 9 Posts