GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my buddy is selling his 2000 gmc sierra that is already bagged and sitting on 20" wheels. On my old bagged truck i had a kp components rear setup and loved it. The truck that I am looking at has a monoleaf rear bag setup. I was just wondering how this setup is. I am supposed to go drive it later today, but i was just wondering how it this setup is. The main thing that i like about the truck is the fact that it is a stepside and the bed hasnt been. If anyone could give me a little bit of info on this setup, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ive never owned, rode or seen one but by knowing how things work. im guessing its gonna be worse than a 2link. think about it your taking all the load springs out and putting in place bags. ya it works but for how long. how much do think that axle twists know that it has no structure. prob will bend that one leaf eventually. i would not recomend it to anyone. just my .02:think:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
bag over axle on a monoleaf isnt the best idea...that single leaf will flex a bit to muvh and eventually break down on ya!....

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
monoleaf is scary...leaf springs have a tendency to break (Yes, crack all the way across) over time...the more they are flexed, the more likely they will break. Hell, phil has a broken leaf in his tahoes spring pack...stock leaves, very little travel, but one broke. thats my biggest worry

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I've thought about this before, but technically isn't every leaf spring setup a mono leaf?? I mean, there is only one spring that is attached to the truck physically, the others are there just to support that one. I know not having those will allow it to twist and flex and that's not good ... but it always struck me that even with 4,5 ,6 leaf springs, really only one is bolted to the truck.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I've thought about this before, but technically isn't every leaf spring setup a mono leaf?? I mean, there is only one spring that is attached to the truck physically, the others are there just to support that one. I know not having those will allow it to twist and flex and that's not good ... but it always struck me that even with 4,5 ,6 leaf springs, really only one is bolted to the truck.
theres also military wrapped packs...but i won't go into that. typical spring packs are so stiff that theres very little side to side movement...mostly up and down. bushings take the real abuse...well, single leaf set ups allow the single leaf to move MUCH MUCH more. Sure, its still the only leaf thats attaching to the frame, but it gets fatigued MUCH faster and has much more load placed on it in ways it was not intended, which is what ends up killing them...

If you wanna have a design that the boyetts would think is truely badass, go for it...its their type of engineering. hell, im sure they could shoot a design or two to ya on how to do it...but its a horrible design...i dunno if id rather have a poorly designed 2 link with tractor heims or a mono leafed bag set up...both are HORRIBLE and CHEAP.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
there packed like that so they wont flex that much, including the top one bolted to the hanger and shackle. if you bend a single piece of metal back and forth alot, it will lose strength and eventually break. thats why really old spring packs sag over time(20+years).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I did a 95 and left the main/overload leaf in and installed an ART helper setup and it rode great with the 6" flip kit, 2" shackles, middle 2 leafs removed, DT drop shocks and the Western chassis notch.

Pics:
DSCN3844.jpg

DSCN3836.jpg

DSCN3832.jpg

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
ive heard of this. they de arch the rear leaf springs. i imagine it rides like poop,
and i had a ifcustoms 2link and it rode well i liked its but cost for cost the kp stuff seems to be the way to go

1 - 18 of 18 Posts