GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bumpstop.jpg

Okay so I think I figured out the distance between my bump stop and the bump stop plate. (I think :crazy:)

What I did was maid some ramps out of wood so I could drive up and flex the truck. (Also check drive shaft at this time ok there to for slip/compression)

So I did the flexing and figured out where I want it to stop flexing at. But then when its on level ground and you put the bump stop were you think it should be. It seems really close to my bump stop plates :think: Its about 1.0 to 1.25”

Im taking away 2 inchs for a 4.5 bump stomp for compression. So with that I have 1.0 to 1.25 for just distance from bump stop plate and then the 2 inchs for compression im about 3 to 3.5 I would guess of just strait up ward travel.

That does not seem like very much but maybe that’s enough. The problem is if I move my bump stops up more, when its flexing it wont stop the flexing and it will rub the shit out of my fenders :nono:

Or am I going about this wrong should I just make bump stops for strait up ward travel and then get some limit straps for side to side travel??

My question is did i figure out travel right and that means that I will on have about 3-3.5 inch inches strait up with both wheels, Is that enough does not seem like alot?

Hope you can read it i went over a couple times :crazy:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
hydro bumps or poly? not gonna make a difference but just tryin to clear things up

·
Deep South
1,313 Posts
I would think you would have more than that. I just have a 1.5" AAl, with my factory bump stops lowered 2 inches, and I have 4" between the bump stop and the bump pad. I've never had my truck on the bumps that I know of though, the closest I have been able to get is maybe an inch away.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
If that's where it needs to be to keep the tires out of the fenders that's fine. I know a couple of stock trucks that have less than 4" of vertical bump travel.

I've only got ~5" of vertical bump travel up front and half of that is on the air bumps.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hydro bumps or poly? not gonna make a difference but just tryin to clear things up

Picture016-5.jpg

Poly

If that's where it needs to be to keep the tires out of the fenders that's fine. I know a couple of stock trucks that have less than 4" of vertical bump travel.

I've only got ~5" of vertical bump travel up front and half of that is on the air bumps.
Thats what i figured, I think illl have about 3.5 or so of just strait vertical travel.

And if i did the math and meassuring right it should keep my tires out of my fenders i hope.

Only problem is i think it be better to push the bump stop closer to like 1/2 inch away lol to ensure no scrubage on the fenders but i think then i really wont have enough vertical bump.

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
as for travel needed it seems that my truck and driving style uses around 2"s of verticle bump driving on the street

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as for travel needed it seems that my truck and driving style uses around 2"s of verticle bump driving on the street
Have any picks of your bump stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts