GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GMC C3 with the 6.0. I have put the K/N system, Hypertech programer, and 2 cham.flowmaster. It sounds good but I was wanting some more power. I was thinking about headers but didn't know how much it would help. I don't want it to sould like an old beater. I would like to s charge it but can't right now.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You'll see vast gains with a reflashed PCM over the Hypertech. That's where I'd start. If you have more cash, get you a good mild cam for it (210-216° intake duration) so it can get out of its way.

Then pick your poison on the headers. ONLY go something that are midlength or longer.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
buy a used one...you can get cams, springs, and chromo push rods for 400$ or better. push rods aren't NECESSARY, but they are nice...and you can get ls6 yellow springs for 60$ shipped instead of spending 150$ on some comp springs...cams can be had for 150-250 used all day long...anthoer 30$ for misc gaskets and whatnot and you are set.

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
I've heard that common gains from longtubes on these motors is 20+ at the wheels once you get it tuned.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Yah..Get a custom PCM tune on a dyno or a wheatley, nelson, wait4me tune.

Tune and some good long tube headers you will be amazed how much more power ur making!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
buy a used one...you can get cams, springs, and chromo push rods for 400$ or better. push rods aren't NECESSARY, but they are nice...and you can get ls6 yellow springs for 60$ shipped instead of spending 150$ on some comp springs...cams can be had for 150-250 used all day long...anthoer 30$ for misc gaskets and whatnot and you are set.

Where'd ya get that info? :D

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is used parts really a good Idea. This is my daily driver. That being said what will these mods. do to my mpg's.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
I got my cam for $31.00 off EBAY its a comp 216/224 it usualy goes for aboout 400.00 ebay it man

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Is used parts really a good Idea. This is my daily driver. That being said what will these mods. do to my mpg's.
if your worried about MPGs then you shouldnt have bought a truck, now with that being said used parts in these motors are like new parts if they have relatively low mileage on them

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
if your worried about MPGs then you shouldnt have bought a truck, now with that being said used parts in these motors are like new parts if they have relatively low mileage on them
even with that said though. I'm getting 18.5 highway/16 city with my cammed 5.3L. I bought my cammed used as well and it's my only vehicle.

·
4,725 Posts
Ditch the slowmasters, a quality tune, and cam as said.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like the mpg's my increase I am getting 15 16 now. I think I will go the ebay route. Thanks for the help. One more Question though when reflashing the PCM If you have to send it off are you just out of a ride til it comes back? Daily driver

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
it depends on which tuner you go with, i believe Nelson and W4M send you a PCM already tuned to your specs, mods, etc. then once you get it, you mail your stock one to them within a certain amount of time, if you dont mail it then they core charge you.

With a PCM tune, you'll gain MPG...im yet to see a report of someone losing MPG over a tune. Cam will hurt it some, and LT's will bring it back up a little bit because of the lowend torque getting your truck moving a little easier.

Dave

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK sounds like that needs to be done once I get the other mods done so they can tune it accordingly. Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
ebay that Hyper Tech, and use that money for a cam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts