GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Shackles, why do i need them? why cant i bolt the leafs directly to the thing that holds the shackle? why does there need to be a shackle there?

2) lowering blocks, ya or na? why?

3) if a ya (or atleast an "its not my truck so whatever") on the blocks, an i do lowering blocks + shackles, what would be some problems i would run into with this combo?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
1. your leaf springs would snap!...you cannot have them directly bolted to the frame because you would get noe play out fo them...

2. nay..not possible unless you are driving an S-10 now or your axle is already on top of your leaf pack....??

3. see above #2

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
in order to run blocks, you have to have a flip kit...6" plus say 2" blocks plus 2" shackle...that would be fun.

But yeah, go ahead and bolt the spring to the shackle mount...lift it 2 and rip the brackets off the frame, sounds fun.

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. your leaf springs would snap!...you cannot have them directly bolted to the frame because you would get noe play out fo them...
hmmm, well fine then lol. i have to drive by a "truck shop" to get to school 3 days a week. they do mostly RIG repairs, and desiel work. but they are also the go to guys for huge lifts. i may have to stop in and see if they can work out something to lower my truck. i went to the guys in town who do the most custom work and they wanted to bag my truck (i dont want cost or up-keep of bags) so maybe these guys will have another options.

2. nay..not possible unless you are driving an S-10 now or your axle is already on top of your leaf pack....??
now that makes sense! i never really understood howTF drop blocks worked!

if i find shackles to work with my truck, the largest would be 3" correct? what is an easy way to get another 1-2 inches, hangers?

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But yeah, go ahead and bolt the spring to the shackle mount...lift it 2
as i said in another thread, i dont know shiit about suspension shit, but that just made it click! :rocking: im here thinking a shackle would be smaller, but if i have a stock shackle that is (say) 3" then a buy a 6" shackle, which would lower the body 3"... i was thinking that i would buy a 0" shackle to lower it 3"...

thanks man. :slap:

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so lets say i do a 2/4

spindles up front ($200? )
shackles and hangers in the rear ($150 or less)
new shocks. ($200)

do i need shock extenders?
what is a fair price for all this?
what is a fair price for all this installed?

i think i would rather pay someone to do it, i know me and some friends could pull it off, but with my truck being 14 years old, and from florida, there is a lot of rust under there, if a bolt breaks or anything i would rather someone else have to scramble to find a new one!

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and last question, is there a difference between 1500 leafs and 2500 leafs? would swapping mine for a set off a 1500 give me a little more drop? (i dont tow or haul anything other then people.)

·
Registered
965 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts