GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No more fat chicks
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i saw that my tie rods are flipped. i hadnt noticed before till i looked at my friends bagged 03. so knowin that, if i flipped them back to stock, tie rod goin in through the top, wat would that change? toe? and another thing, i also saw that my buddy has Strong arm control arms, but only has the upper. is that really the only one needed? i want to fix all this crap, but i really wanna know wat exactly needs to be fixed, and wat would be cool to leave alone.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
the upper art arm is the same thing as a stock arm just flipped. if you take your upper arm out and put the bj back in the arm but flipped then reinstall the arm like stock. it will be the exact same angle and length as a art upper arm.
dont waste your money on upper arms.
as for the bottom. art lowers are 3/4" shorter than stock. so i would buy those.
and putting your tie rods back to goin in though the top will def make your truck drive better. it will eliminate your toe andbump steer problems.
getting the art lowers will also help your bumpsteer.
and you dont want to flip your tie rods becuase you want the tierod to be parrallel with the lower control arm for the correct susp geometry.

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I've never measured myself but everyone I have read about with art lowers says that they are 1/2" shorter. I never heard 3/4". Either way, they are way better than stock. They are a great way to go. But you could probably find a different place to buy lowers from that is cheaper and maybe even order them to be exactly how you want.
As for uppers you will want to stick with stock ones flipped and the bj flipped in them so they enter the spindle from top just like dave said, unless you have lots of money and want the look of tube arms.
Flipping the tierod around to enter through the bottom is a no-no. It changes your toe which causes bad bump steer. It puts your tierod on a different arc.

Dave pretty much summed it up but I'm bored so I felt like writing.

·
No more fat chicks
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet. Yall told me exactly wat i wanted to hear. Hopefully i can get to the shop this weekend and get somethin done. Any suggestions on wat brand if not art? I mean im willing to buy art, but cheaper ways dont usually kill anyone. Lol. Thanks again

·
No more fat chicks
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i flipped my tie rods yesterday and the toe is better, but now the left tire looks its turnin slightly right and the right tire looks like its turnin slightly left when its laid out. and is it gonna matter about flippin my upper arm since they've been moved up 2 inches? do i need to move them down first?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
The tie rod ends have to get shortened when they are flipped to the bottom so you will have to lengthen them if you flipped them back. Break the jam nut loose and turn the outer and you will see it start to get longer. Eyeball it so that your wheels are close to straight at ride height and get an alignment.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
so i flipped my tie rods yesterday and the toe is better, but now the left tire looks its turnin slightly right and the right tire looks like its turnin slightly left when its laid out. and is it gonna matter about flippin my upper arm since they've been moved up 2 inches? do i need to move them down first?
if your arms have been moved up 2 inches i would just leave it alone.
post pics of the truck

·
No more fat chicks
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill get pics up in a day or two. i heard from everyone else that my arms needed to be moved down cause 2 inches was serious overkill. i mean i dont like em up there cause it looks janky, plus i want better ride quality, if possible. id rather spend some money and get em back down and flipped. thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts