GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a retro on my truck with some MH1 projectors and ill add a new HID kit. It seems a lot of guys just order the MH1's and the morimoto HID kits, but $150 is a little pricey for just the HID kit. I've had cheaper kits and DDM before, but they offer their new "Ultra" ones. Has anyone had any experience with these, or possible a different reliable ballast?

DDM Ultra HID kit - $80
Morimoto HID kit - $150

MH1 B's - $50
Mini GG Shroud - $15
Plus the cost of some new aftermarket headlights.

Tryin to ball on a budget as usual.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm using ddm hids. I never had morimoto hids so I can't compare

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
iv had the same morimoto kit for about 4 years now, it was on my last truck too, and a bulb went out for the first time a few months ago, however that kit comes with a 5 year warranty so i got a new one free of charge. they don't flicker, the color stays true, the relays are beefy and the kit overall is just quality.
had a ddm kit on my first truck and a ballast went out in 2 weeks i believe and it was a pain to get a replacement, however they are priced reasonably.

·
----------
6 Posts
I have Morimoto 55Ws in my truck and car and i've never had a problem. The kit is very well made.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a comparison over on hidplanet and the DDM ultra seem like they are a decent comparison. Especially for half the price.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also read some pretty good reviews about Zenex ballasts just now. And at around $20 a piece, not bad.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Morimoto shits on ddm imo. Warranty is better too. If you got the coin to retrofit don't skimp on the HIDs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The retrofit parts are half the cost of the HID kit though. Charlie at TRS gave me a code for free shipping or 5% off, so that helps out too.

They look comparable quality wise. Everyone just rags on the warranty shit from DDM. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts