GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read in some magazine articles that you could get 50 horsepower from a tune, air intake and exhaust. Who has dyno number to prove before and after gains. And better than 50 hp gains

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
807 Posts
idk what stock hp and tq is but i have a 2002 silverado 5.3l and got it dynoed at 253rwhp and 279wtq...intake, exhaust dumped, and nelson tune...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here's my numbers for a 2001 Yukon XL 5.3L 3.73 gears, 256/70/18 tires, only addition was a outlaw intake 237.86 rwhp 268.66 rwtq on a dynojet

50 hp gain sounds pretty high for those mods, I you may see somewhere around 20 hp gain if you get those and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most stock dynos I have seen are between 230-240hp. See my sig for mods - I think I actually gained hp with the FLT trans, too. It didn't make hp, it just didn't rob as much as the stock tranny.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
That's a little far fetched even with a full exhaust with long tube headers. Although Nelson did get a very large amount from one of his custom tunes on a LQ4 6.0 once so I guess it could be possible depending on the engine and the tuner.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.... This is all good info, and will help me to build a baseline. And know what is realistic.

Four2fight

·
Registered
771 Posts
25-30 with a GOOD custom tune
~20-30 pacesetter headers and full exhaust (tuned ofcorse)

all of these numers are considering you already have a nice intake. it can be done, but remember every truck acts different. and dont depend on any dyno numbers. they dont prove shit unless every car dyno'd on the same dyno with the same weather, at the same altitude, on the variables etc etc. dyno's are a tool. nothing more.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Figure the intake and exhaust add 6-8rw each, stock tune is lame. No question, but it helps with midrange power more than peak.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You should look for something that will give you proven power in a usable rpm range, numbers are just numbers, they will do you no good if you get +50hp at 5500-6000rpm especially on a daily driver. Or if you just want high numbers just slap on a supercharger, turbo, or nos.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just wanting to get an idea of what is realistic. I just want to have a little fun. I do have an 02 ecsb with a air intake and predator. It is alot better than stock. But I would like to get alittle more with the new truck. I already have the k&n air intake. I am looking for a tune or exhaust next. My 07 feels like it is quicker than my 02. But it could just be me.

Four2fight

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You should look for something that will give you proven power in a usable rpm range, numbers are just numbers, they will do you no good if you get +50hp at 5500-6000rpm especially on a daily driver. Or if you just want high numbers just slap on a supercharger, turbo, or nos.

Ah, another reasonable man. :shake:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts