GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im debating on what to get. Do you think shorty headers, K&N cold air intake, or a programmer would be best for the amount of money? Just for your info, i dont have the money for long tubes, id get the Summitt shorties for 160, and i cant get a Nelson tune all the way here in Indiana. Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a programmer is gonna be at least 350 though

·
Registered
232 Posts
most hp per $ is either super or turbo charging. if you arent ready to throw down that much go with headers, cat back exhaust, and cold air intake. i have heard mixed results with the throttle body spacers so i'll put that out there as well.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
save money for long tubes. Ive heard its a waste for shorties

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Dont know if you wanna go this route, but N2O is by far the most HP per $.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
tx marine said:
i've heard the same, can anyone explain this?
sorry for the hijack but it kinda pertains

Okay, on newer vehicles... yes shorty headers typically are a waste EXCEPT for a few reasons. If you have a cam, they'll help breathe up top...that's why I have them. Aside from that, there's no gains down low. The stock manifolds flow fine. They're like a damn factory semi-header. Also a shorty header doesn't retain anywhere near as much heat as a manifold does, so it'll drop underhood temps too.

Now on an older truck, the manifolds are like bricks. They don't flow for shit. Even a step up to a shorty header is a good improvement. I ran shorty headers on my F150 before going to Hooker LTs and there was power to be found with those.

Below are pics of newer '99+ GenIII manifolds vs older BBC ones.

SilveradoManifold.jpg

SilveradoManifoldOlder.jpg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Oh now with that aside, Long Tubes make more power... that's forsure. I noticed much more torque down low from idle to about 3000rpm in my F150 when going from shorty headers to LTs. BUT up top HP was the same.

LTs make more TQ as they scavenge better. Basically pull air from the cylinders.

I'd start with the basics as stated... intake, cat back, new cats (if needed), shorty headers are okay if you get them cheap, and a tune!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On my 97 the manifolds look almost identical to the pic on the bottom. So in that case shorties might be ok for mine. How much HP do you think shorties would give me? And I cant afford a supercharger and im not screwin up my engine with nitrous.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
LongNLow97 said:
On my 97 the manifolds look almost identical to the pic on the bottom. So in that case shorties might be ok for mine. How much HP do you think shorties would give me? And I cant afford a supercharger and im not screwin up my engine with nitrous.

You'll notice more with shorty headers on your truck than I did with mine. The pics show apparent differences in the ability to flow exhaust.

I'd say 8-12rwhp with a shorty header over a junk manifold like what you have. Maybe 7-10rwtq. A full length header like the Thorley would about double those gains with more torque off-idle to about 3000rpm also.

Now, now :nonono: nitrous used in moderation won't mess anything up on a stock motor. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts