GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ma looking into switching my ring gears, but dont really know which gears to go with. I am either running a 4.10 or a 4.56. I can pick up a rear set of Motive brand for around 150, or yukon for about 230. I would rather have the yukon but are the Motive ones any count? I am just going to gear the rear for now to see if i like it or not, and i will just take the front driveshaft out to be safe, and hope i dont need 4x4 for the time being. If i like the improvement and the mileage isnt to bad( I heard 4.56's are hard on gas compared to 4.10?) then i will order the fronts.

The Motive brand has a 1 year warranty also.

·
Justin @ A/T Fab
325 Posts
I can get you Yukon for much cheaper. It is all I run in my personal stuff and have had excellent luck with them in the hundreds of sets I have installed. I have installed a few Motive sets, they were ok but to be honest I have not dealt with them in a high enough quantity to form much of an opinion. I go with what I know works.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've got Motive Performance 4:10's in my 2004 10 bolt 8.6", I'm on my second set because they ring badly. Despite setting the pinion depth to the exact thousandth" as stamped on the pinion, and setting the backlash they still ring.

The second set is a little better than the first set was, but now that my exhaust is so loud and I can't hear the ringing anymore :p

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I just picked up a set of the Motive Performance 4.30's. I decided on these over Yukons, but we'll see how they go. Mykk, you're one of the very few that I've heard complain about them. Heard a lot of guys with F-body's and GTO's going with the Motives because they were quieter than most because they are cut very similar to OE. Not doubting your own personal experiences there, but just what I've seen...

Check out ronsmachining on ebay, some good deals, nice guy to deal with, and quick shipping.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
precision gear, ftw

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i seen that guy on ebay. I am either going with these or yukon gears, not really decided yet. I am still deciding what size to run, 4.10 or 4.56's. I really dont want to kill my gas mileage a ton, but i do plan to lift it before long if i do keep it. What do you all think?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
How big do you plan on lifting in? what size tire? 33-35s? 37-38s? so on....??

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
so get 4.56s

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
if 35s are the largest you will go, get 4.56s
if you think you will go bigger later, like 36-38 range, get 4.88s

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea 35's is as big as i would go. So would 35's and 4.56's pull better then my 285 and 3.73 combo?

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
If lift and bigger bologna's is even just a possibility in your future definitely don't undergear yourself right now, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the ass later! Go 4.56, or even bigger if you ever plan on going 35's or beyond, and/or hauling loads.
I never plan on going larger than my 33.2's (and about a ~5in lift) with this truck, and it sees expressway speeds daily so I thought 4.30 was a good bet for myself.

I know it doesn't tell nearly the entire story, but there are some decent ratio/rpm/speed calculators on the net that you can use to just get a basic idea of where you might be at versus your current set-up, which you can monitor yourself next time you're towing or ripping down the expressway, etc.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
yea 35's is as big as i would go. So would 35's and 4.56's pull better then my 285 and 3.73 combo?

Yes, better power... but you pull often from your other thread so get the 4.88:1

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You dont think 4.88's will be an overkill? I am not 100% sure i am lifting it, maybe around this coming up tax time but thats about it. Until then its the 31.5's and 4.56's. I wish i could just find a way to clear 33's on a 18x9 with -12 and I would just do that cause i pull alot to have 35's, but there really isnt a lift for that. I have 285/60/18's on 18x9 with -12 offset and they get extremely close, sometimes rubbing. And i have ford keys which i raised the front about 1 to 1.5". Any ideas on how to make them fit? I could trim the front bumper but what about the cab corner and fender wheel?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You dont think 4.88's will be an overkill? I am not 100% sure i am lifting it, maybe around this coming up tax time but thats about it. Until then its the 31.5's and 4.56's. I wish i could just find a way to clear 33's on a 18x9 with -12 and I would just do that cause i pull alot to have 35's, but there really isnt a lift for that. I have 285/60/18's on 18x9 with -12 offset and they get extremely close, sometimes rubbing. And i have ford keys which i raised the front about 1 to 1.5". Any ideas on how to make them fit? I could trim the front bumper but what about the cab corner and fender wheel?

On 33s, with the 60E in OD @ 65mph with 4.56:1 - 2113rpm.
On 33s, with the 60E in OD @ 65mph with 4.88:1 - 2261rpm.

The difference is minimal for the extra tow capacity.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So which is the best gear for pulling and still getting good gas mileage. Right now with my setup and constantly pulling, I average about 15 even. I dont want to be in the 10 range. I would think one of them would be better cause it wouldnt work as hard, but i am clueless about this stuff. Again thanks man, I am sure we will get this worked out before long.lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts