GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Formely SSierra08
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im ready to work on the motor of the tahoe and need some insite. Its a 5.3 w/3.73 and 100k on it. I would like to cam and what ever comes with it. Here are my questions after reading pt.net and still just as dumb.
1. needs to be a DD still while keeping a decent milege
2. will I have to upgrde tranny
3. How the hell do I know what cam to go with
4. I dont pull or tow anything just to work and on the highway
5. What all do i need and how much should it cost Avg
6. Would I be better just looking for a 6l

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Im ready to work on the motor of the tahoe and need some insite. Its a 5.3 w/3.73 and 100k on it. I would like to cam and what ever comes with it. Here are my questions after reading pt.net and still just as dumb.
1. needs to be a DD still while keeping a decent milege The right choice on cam/converter shouldn't hurt normal driving mileage
2. will I have to upgrde tranny Can't hurt at your mileage to freshen it up, or get a built one and be done with it, but power-wise, just a cam isn't a tranny breaker. But you will want to match the cam to the converter; the bigger the cam, the higher the stall speed you'll want
3. How the hell do I know what cam to go with Err on the smaller side if in doubt; you'll hate driving an overcammed vehicle more than one that's undercammed
4. I dont pull or tow anything just to work and on the highway
5. What all do i need and how much should it cost Avg Double what you think it will cost just so you don't get in over your head. $1000 will probably do it though. Cam, pushrods, springs, maybe lifters but probably not. New crank bolt, oil and filter, coolant, tuning, new timing chain would be a good idea too
6. Would I be better just looking for a 6l Yes, always better off with a bigger motor, dollar for dollar

·
Formely SSierra08
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill talk to nick leachy about his more but id like to do the 6l and maybe a small cam so I can build and get it ready while still driving the 5.3. I will be doing very little of the work as I know nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts