GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of motor oil do you guys run. Synthetic or conventional? Castrol or mobil one.

I will be changing my oil soon and I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w30 and I was just wondering what yall run.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance, 5W-30.

Change it every 7,500mi or the 2nd time my OLM sets. Filter change & a quart the first time the OLM sets.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's whatever you like. I like Mobil one. It's not cheap, it's not retarded expensive. It tastes kinda meh.
I have asked alot of people around here and they say mobile one is the best to them And i do like it alot too.

They could do better with the taste too.:shake:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've always used regular penzoil. My 88 k1500 has 292,000 no smoke nothing done to motor. My father in law has a 98 k1500 with over 200,000 nothing but penzoil. My wife had a beratta with over 250,000 until her brother totalled it. Brother in law had a 94 c1500 with 225,000 until he totalled it too. I would suggest staying away from quaker state. I've rebuilt three motors that where only ran on quaker state. Those motors where so caked up with gunk it was sick.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always used regular penzoil. My 88 k1500 has 292,000 no smoke nothing done to motor. My father in law has a 98 k1500 with over 200,000 nothing but penzoil. My wife had a beratta with over 250,000 until her brother totalled it. Brother in law had a 94 c1500 with 225,000 until he totalled it too. I would suggest staying away from quaker state. I've rebuilt three motors that where only ran on quaker state. Those motors where so caked up with gunk it was sick.
damn. so stay away from quaker state. got it. thanks.:shake:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Synthethic here. I was using mobil1 5w30, but there was a shortage around here so last oil change I used Valvoline full synthetic.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
cam 2 synthetic blend lol, its cheap, and not bad, i dont plan on having this motor in it forever anyway

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
So mobile one fully synthetic is a good oil then. I thought about royal purple before but figures it would be a waste.
Have you ever had an engine failure that can be blamed on bad oil or too-long intervals?

IMO, the whole oil religion is way overblown. Most vehicles go to the junkyard having never suffered from failures that could have been avoided by better oil habits/more expensive oil.

damn. so stay away from quaker state. got it. thanks.:shake:
You missed the part where he said all those high-mileage vehicles lasted that long on dinosaur juice.

Use what the manual says, change when the oil life indicator says to change, and you'll be fine. I'm at 180,000 miles and I haven't done what I'm supposed to* and it's fine.

*: I've sometimes gone thousands of miles past the time when it said to change the oil, and once when it was kinda new I ran it completely dry due to a rear main seal leak when I thought the "low oil level" light was due to a faulty sensor.

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
Mobile 1 synthetc 5W-30 Filter and erythang everytime i hit 50% engine oil life.

·
Bad aSS Silvy
22 Posts
Royal Purple 5W-30W with K&N HP-1007 oil filter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts