GMC Truck Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
I've sometimes gone thousands of miles past the time when it said to change the oil, and once when it was kinda new I ran it completely dry due to a rear main seal leak when I thought the "low oil level" light was due to a faulty sensor.
I had a car at my shop that thought the oil didnt have to be changed until the little oil can lit up. It was a 1991 geo metro and there was at least 2 inches of sludge in the bottom of the pan.

I also use sull synthetic Mobil 1 EP. Like Denalio said, its meh. I like it though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Royal Purple with a Wix filter changed at 5K. I'm probably going to start leaving the oil in for 10k and changing the filter at 5K.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Distilled H2O

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
i usually just get whatever they're having a deal on lol. last oil change i got mobil 1 extended 5w30 with a mobile 1 filter for 35$ seemed like a really good deal. i've got a rear main seal leak so i gotta put a quart in like every 2 weeks... its been getting worse and worse but this summer its gonna be fixed. plus i go through oil changes like theyre going out of style. probably once a month i do one. usually every 3-4k miles. got 143k on the clock.

·
ohio state #1
510 Posts
royal purple and wix, napa gold filters in all my trucks. i change at 5K. i can`t let it go 12k like they say to.

i buy it on ebay in 5 gallon pails. i think it comes to about $6 per quart.
Royal Purple with a Wix filter changed at 5K. I'm probably going to start leaving the oil in for 10k and changing the filter at 5K.
i use the same except i go 10k-12k before changing the oil. but i change the filter at 5k.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i heard walmart super tech is the same oil as moble 1 just relabled and sold cheaper. food for thought. but i just like to run a syn blend and change it regularly.
Not true.

Most of WM oils come from Warren Dist which is a private label blender. They are the business you go to if you want a private label product.
Packaging
* Custom design, private label
* In-house carton printing
* In-house label design
* State-of-the-art, high speed filling equipment
* 780 different products packaged in our facilities under 40 different labels
Manufacturing
* In-house blow molding
* Computerized in-line blending
* Viscosity modifier solubolization
* In-house quality control lab
* Lean manufacturing
* 6.5 million gallons fluid storage
* Synthetic Motor Oil
* Accel
* Mag 1
* Polar

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not true.

Most of WM oils come from Warren Dist which is a private label blender. They are the business you go to if you want a private label product.
Packaging
* Custom design, private label
* In-house carton printing
* In-house label design
* State-of-the-art, high speed filling equipment
* 780 different products packaged in our facilities under 40 different labels
Manufacturing
* In-house blow molding
* Computerized in-line blending
* Viscosity modifier solubolization
* In-house quality control lab
* Lean manufacturing
* 6.5 million gallons fluid storage
* Synthetic Motor Oil
* Accel
* Mag 1
* Polar

So whats the best motor oil for a nnbs 08? I use mobil 1 5w30 fully synthetic.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
So whats the best motor oil for a nnbs 08? I use mobil 1 5w30 fully synthetic.
Anything matching what the manual says. Srsly. You'll get rid of the truck because of transmission/body/frame/computer/fuel injection/whatever problems long before it suffers from anything that can be blamed on oil.

Mobil 1 is a fine product. How much more money do you want to waste? You could get one of those cult oils like Amsoil or Royal Purple, if you want to waste a lot more of your money. It's a great product, but you won't gain anything from it.

If you want to be picky, look for a PAO-based oil. Most "synthetic" oils, including most of the Mobil 1 line, are highly refined dinosaur juice instead of being manufactured in a lab. According to http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified mineral oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils. To the best of my knowledge, Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline, and Motul 5100 are the only oils made from pure traditional synthetics.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mobil sued Castrol,
That is not true. It was merely a complaint to the BBB about false advertising. The BBB was not any court of law nor were the people making the judgement about term synthetic in the oil business. Just a bunch of stuffed shirts concerned only with advertising. All it proved was that Castrol was better at arguing their point of view and Mobil was not.

Btw - Mobil 1 soon followed Castrol's lead and produced the same type of product. Mobil 1 today is not a 100% synthetic oil. The Extended Performance version is though.

All of AMSOIL oils (except for the XL line and the PCO 15W-40 blend) are true 100% Group IV synthetics. AMSOIL has the XL line group III to be able to compete in the Quick Lube market and be cost competitive with the oil company Gr. III synthetic's.

Btw - Ever notice how none of the oil company synthetic say 100% on the label? They use the term Full or Fully. Wonder why they never say 100% Synthetic?

While these Group III Full synthetics are a step of ahead of prior petroleum oils they still lack the qualities of a true 100% synthetic. For instance, no oil company (besides AMSOIL) guarantees their oil beyond what the vehicles owners manual says. In fact most all quick lubes and dealers with tell you they cannot go longer then 3,000 miles or 3 months.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.