GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a growing swap into chevys now. ive seen several at truck shows. Does anyone out there know about what it would take to run a 12V Cummins in an OBS? i think my gassers on its way out, and i have been contemplating this idea for a long time now. I know my motor will cost a good amount, not sure where to get one at though.

any help on swapping and hooking it up is appreciated.

I plan to keep the 80E in there, i think it could hold up to a diesel's torque, just might not be able to get stupid with motor mods.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
why not look for a rollover truck and take the motor,trans, wiring and computer out and there you go. just make motor mounts and exhaust. I was thinking about that in an old chevy dually and was pricing out wrecked trucks. Anywhere from 5-8k seems to be the going rate

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like a good plan.

i know what kinda probs the autos and cummins create, would my 80e be better suited then the one that they come with? i know t case and stuff is same, but are they same side drop and stuff? i imagine if i do the cummins swap, a sas willl be next.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Im not sure of the auto swap honestly, i was looking for a 2wd 6 speed truck, to swap into a bagged crew cab dually

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Don't keep the 80E, the adapter plate is so fucking expensive. Convert the truck to an NV4500 or a 47RH auto. Cheaper in the end.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found a place that does the swaps. was told they do it for 4500 including motor, im looking into it!

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found a place that does the swaps. was told they do it for 4500 including motor, im looking into it!

·
Standing for something
585 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry computer was takin a shit and decided to double post.

where can i look into that adapter? does advanced make one for it? also what kind of computer does the 12V need, im guessing its something simple and similar to the one in it now....atleast id hope

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
also what kind of computer does the 12V need, im guessing its something simple and similar to the one in it now....atleast id hope
I don't think you're going to find a computer on a 12V.

$4,500 is a deal, new 24V long block is like $12,000 and they don't even run as long.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For the tranny bellhousing adapter I believe you can get it from your local gm parts dealer, they used the 4l80e and cummins combo on many of the medium duty gm trucks prior to the introduction of the 6.6' Duramax.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet! do out there some place is a c/k truck that came factory with a cummins..... im gonna guess the HD3500 like tow trucks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts