GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.3L in my 04 Silverado 1500 2wd. I want to swap it out and put a bigger motor in it. What motor can I swap it out with that will work with the original transmission that I have in it?

·
The great white Canadian
1,728 Posts
Any RWD GM engine from a 2.2l to an 8.1l will bolt up and can work with the 4l60e transmission. Will it last behind some of those choices, no...
Your best bet is an LS, either a 4.8 or 5.3 as they are common, had plenty of power and they were offered in that truck. You'll still have a bit of work to do as it's not plug and play for the engine wiring harness. The 4.3 is an old design, basically a 350 missing two cylinders. It's injection system is 1996 tech, where the LS engined are more modern. Some of the engine wiring will need to be changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any RWD GM engine from a 2.2l to an 8.1l will bolt up and can work with the 4l60e transmission. Will it last behind some of those choices, no...
Your best bet is an LS, either a 4.8 or 5.3 as they are common, had plenty of power and they were offered in that truck. You'll still have a bit of work to do as it's not plug and play for the engine wiring harness. The 4.3 is an old design, basically a 350 missing two cylinders. It's injection system is 1996 tech, where the LS engined are more modern. Some of the engine wiring will need to be changed.
Ok thank you so will the 4.8 plug and play?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, you need to change the wiring harness out and the PCM and then get it retuned since the PCM and BCM will have different VINs attached to them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts