GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my compressors, tank, and inverter in my tool chest and was curious what you guys thought about mounting my amps in my toolbox as well? I was thinking of drilling a hole in the back of the bed and running it thru one of the rear vents thru some PVC or something. I believe my only concern with all this would be the weather (too hot or too cold). Is this a legit concern? I plan on placing some exhuast fans that kick on when the stereo is on as well to get some air flow thru the tool chest. Is there any other concers you guys can think of, Or is this just an off the wall stupid idea? Any input would be nice. I already have 0 guage power running to the chest so it would be very easy to add the amps.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely a concern, Although seems that it's pretty moisture resistant. The truck is parked inside the majority of the time, not to say that it only takes one drop of water to fry or atleast blow a fuse.

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
definitely a concern, Although seems that it's pretty moisture resistant. The truck is parked inside the majority of the time, not to say that it only takes one drop of water to fry or atleast blow a fuse.
hmmmm i wouldnt do it unless u can seal it up completely, but they need to breath or they will cook, now if u used a marine amp u can pull it off with so ventalation added but id just mount them in the truck

why would u want to mount them in the tool box? do u have a lack of space in the cab?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I already have the power wire running to the tool box for the inverter and have the extra space in the tool box so I figure instead of makeing an amp rack in the back it's much easier to just mount them there.

I do plan on hooking up a couple of exhaust fans on the tool box to get rid of the excess heat on the tool box. No water leaks in the tool box as it sits

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
Well I already have the power wire running to the tool box for the inverter and have the extra space in the tool box so I figure instead of makeing an amp rack in the back it's much easier to just mount them there.

I do plan on hooking up a couple of exhaust fans on the tool box to get rid of the excess heat on the tool box. No water leaks in the tool box as it sits
how big is the power wire and ho much power are ur amps putting out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 500w inverter, 1500.1 amp and another 400w amp, 2x 480viair compressors ~300w

The wire is 1/0 guage. To tell you the truth I think I'm going to mount my second battery in there as well and just run the 1/0 from the isolator/relay to the second battery mounted in the toolbox. From there I can run to distribution block etc..

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
I have a 500w inverter, 1500.1 amp and another 400w amp, 2x 480viair compressors ~300w

The wire is 1/0 guage. To tell you the truth I think I'm going to mount my second battery in there as well and just run the 1/0 from the isolator/relay to the second battery mounted in the toolbox. From there I can run to distribution block etc..
yeah or this is the way im thinkin
run 1/0 o the batt thats in there then connect a bussbar to the batt(long bar of metal) and make all ur connections to that, yeah u can us a distribution block but personally id have each unit powered seprately

and u dont need a isolator just run it straight off the alternator to the 2nd batt

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
and your really not looking at wattage cause its not always putting out that u need to look at amperage draw, but having a 2nd batt back there will be nice,

what batt you looking at using?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using the relay/isolator is a from painlesss performace. It's able to isolate as well as combine batteries for starting etc.. Definitely need to isolate especially if I'm out camping and using the inverter off the second batter, so my truck will still run. The buss isn't a bad Idea but to fuse all the power comming off of them I would need to purchase seperate single fuse holders vs. 1 or maybe two distributor.

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2 yellow top optima's. Yeah I don't think I will be anywhere near the the wattage draw unless I have everything running at full blast (not likely) 1/0 wire is rated at around 2500 I believe.

and your really not looking at wattage cause its not always putting out that u need to look at amperage draw, but having a 2nd batt back there will be nice,

what batt you looking at using?

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
ok they will be fine for the application ur running, id say ur ok to go with mounting them in there i would build a amp rack that has fans flowing accross them and being pulled out the other side, just make sure u have a air flow, same amount of fans blowing in as blowing out, use 120mm computer fans they move lots of air id say if u had 3 blowing in 3 blowing out and maybe 2 80mm blowing across ur amps u be set, good thing ur not down to far south

maybe think about a temp gauge also just so u have a knowlegde of how hot ur amps and other stuff is getting

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
I have 2 yellow top optima's. Yeah I don't think I will be anywhere near the the wattage draw unless I have everything running at full blast (not likely) 1/0 wire is rated at around 2500 I believe.
Wattage is not the same as amperage what Matt is trying to say is that you need to know what your amperage draw is so that you know you are not going to be draining your whole electrical system.

To put it simple: Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
Wattage is not the same as amperage what Matt is trying to say is that you need to know what your amperage draw is so that you know you are not going to be draining your whole electrical system.

To put it simple: Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
best way to find draw is look at ur specs on ur amps lol, they should say what they are drawing

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
if it was me id have a bigger alt, i have a dual alt setup that totals 540 amps, as appose to the stock 105 i think so u might want to also think about a possible alt upgrade that be a big boost to ur electical system, 200 amp alt be nice

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
best way to find draw is look at ur specs on ur amps lol, they should say what they are drawing

Lol true BUT what if he doesnt have the specs :crazy: ?! Plus everyone needs to know Ohms law!:untitled: :shake:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, after this is all installed I'm going to look at a new HO alternator to help with the draw... I believe the alternator right now is rated at 140 with roughly 210 amp draw in the back at max plus the rest of the truck it may be underated.

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
Lol true BUT what if he doesnt have the specs :crazy: ?! Plus everyone needs to know Ohms law!:untitled: :shake:
should be able to find it online lol, but yes ohms law is good to know

·
MAG Autoworks
286 Posts
Thanks, after this is all installed I'm going to look at a new HO alternator to help with the draw... I believe the alternator right now is rated at 140 with roughly 210 amp draw in the back at max plus the rest of the truck it may be underated.
what truck do u have?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts