GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My amp and sub should be here tomorrow, so I began getting all of the wiring started today. I'm using my stock deck for now, so I'm using a hi/lo converter to tap into my rear speaker wires, in order to run RCAs to the amp.

My first question is where do people usually put or mount the hi/lo converter? The wires are only 5" long, so I either need to keep it close to my door sill, or I need to add electrical wire, so I have room to mount it somewhere else. Also, I kind of wanted to keep my RCAs away from the power wire to eliminate any engine noise, so I'm kind of leaning towards adding wire, and placing it away from the amp and power wire. What is normally done?

Second question is which wire do I run the remote wire from the amp to? Since I have a stock deck, should I just tap into the ignition wire? Also, where is an easy place to tap into the ignition wire?

Thanks in advance.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I would put the converter behind the radio and use the left rear positive, and right rear negative, kind of like bridging it. Run the RCA's down one side, power wire down the other. I cant remember if there's an amp turn on with those factory radio's or not, but you could use a fuse tap and tap a fuse in the fusebox on the driver's side of the dash. I'd probably put a switch on it too just in case you want it off at anytime.

I haven't installed many hi/low convertors, so if this wont work please tell him.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I would put the converter behind the radio and use the left rear positive, and right rear negative, kind of like bridging it. Run the RCA's down one side, power wire down the other. I cant remember if there's an amp turn on with those factory radio's or not, but you could use a fuse tap and tap a fuse in the fusebox on the driver's side of the dash. I'd probably put a switch on it too just in case you want it off at anytime.

I haven't installed many hi/low convertors, so if this wont work please tell him.
:read: let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah... I didn't really want to tear into my dash, but it looks like I have to. I thought it would be easier to do it in the door sill.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
You can have the radio laying in the passenger seat within 45 seconds. Tilt column down, put in 1st gear, pull bezel off, remove 3 7mm screws in radio, slide out and unplug.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
True on pulling the deck its simple. I would also put the converter behind the dash. The reason I say this is when you do decide to put an aftermarket deck in, you already have the rca in dash. Saves you some time down the road. And tap into the ignition in the fuse box like mentioned.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
You can have the radio laying in the passenger seat within 45 seconds. Tilt column down, put in 1st gear, pull bezel off, remove 3 7mm screws in radio, slide out and unplug.
you forgot one step....PARKING BRAKE! :D
but yeah, its that easy to do.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Ah very good catch. I had a buddy that did this rolled his truck right into the street before he realized he was moving. And said that his truck was dumb. And I was like no you are.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dumb question... Do I have to worry about any theft deterrant devices when I pull out the stock radio? If I accidentally un-plug something, will the stock radio fire back up after I send power to it again?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks.

My amp showed up last night, and I found out that it has a "speaker wire high-level" input. This can take the place of RCA's, right? Is the sound quality going to be any worse if I just use the speaker wire inputs that the amp came with?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
maybe...its possible that the high input would only work for your highs. i know some amps will let you use that as a "low" input though.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That will take place of the RCA's.
Cool. Like Mike said though, will a "high-level" input only transmit high-level sound frequencies? Or does the "high-level" refer to something else?

If I'm strictly running a sub off of this amp, will using the "high-level" input not give me some low-level frequencies?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
yeah but its better to use a hi/lo, usually those hi level inputs can only take so much power before they fry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts