GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an off brand double din stereo that Im trying to install in my '02 2500. I've purchased a dash from an '03 so I have the double din opening to work with. My problem is even with the mounting bucket completely removed, the back of the stereo hits the metal support bracket that is mounted in the back of the dash (runs vertically). This bracket is making it so that my stereo sticks out a good 1/2 inch more that its supposed to. I measured my stereo and in the pic below the red line measures 7.25", and the green line measures 6.5". That all said, does anyone know where my issue lies? Is my deck being an off brand longer than normal? Is there a modification that needs to be done that Im not aware of? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
sidedoubledin.jpg

·
dieselz powerz
82 Posts
Get out the dremel!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dremel, that was going to be my next move, but before I started hackin' shit up I wanted to make sure I wasnt missin something ya know. And I dont think its supposed to be out like it is because not only can you see the aluminum, but there's a 1/4" gap between the beauty ring that snaps on and the dash.

·
blazedchevy
12 Posts
i dont understand why do you guys convert the dash in your truck instead of making your dash work,thats what i did i think it looks pretty good i got a kenwood ddx6019,and i have a 01 truck.With a bd1000 pushin two boston g3 10s in a standerd cab and the sound is vary well

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
i dont understand why do you guys convert the dash in your truck instead of making your dash work,thats what i did i think it looks pretty good i got a kenwood ddx6019,and i have a 01 truck.With a bd1000 pushin two boston g3 10s in a standerd cab and the sound is vary well
the reason most people do it is because all you need is an 03 bezel and a radio bucket if you dont feel like making your own brackets.

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
I just cut that metal bar off when I installed my Dual-DIN Kenwood in my 2001.

·
1,154 Posts
thats not a good idea
Its been three years with no problems. No rattles. No change in position of any dash trim or structure. No nothing. Theres plenty of other support back there. The removal of one insignificant bracket isn't going to hurt anything.

If it looked to be something utterly important, I could of simply fabbed up and welded something to compensate. Its a non issue.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
Its been three years with no problems. No rattles. No change in position of any dash trim or structure. No nothing. Theres plenty of other support back there. The removal of one insignificant bracket isn't going to hurt anything.

If it looked to be something utterly important, I could of simply fabbed up and welded something to compensate. Its a non issue.
tell your in a wreck an die :crazy:

·
1,154 Posts
tell your in a wreck an die :crazy:
If a thin piece of sheet metal loosely riveted to a formed piece of plastic is responsible to keeping the entire SUV together, then its no wonder GM is bankrupt.

I just remembered, I didnt install one of the small screws that secures one of the plastic trim panels. I'm a dead man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts