GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in Truckin' of Sept. 01 and on page 226 they have an article about mounting shocks on the sway bar because on some vehicles when you turn the wheels as far as they go it rubs the rims and tires. I have this problem and was wondering if anyone has done this or what they think of it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! Bad idea. Your sway bar isn't designed for mounting your shocks. This an exaple of how bad ideas spread. A magazine does a tech article and someone that doesn't know any better says hey I saw it in a mag so it must be right. Glad you had sense enough to ask before doing it.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Word to that......that is a huge friggin no-no. If the shock only subs at full lock and doesn't inhibit turning than just leave it. It happens a lot and as long as it's just a rub it's no concern IMO.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys in the pics it looked kinda weak, just figured I should ask some pros before I do something. So what I'm experiencing is normal?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
It can be...kinda depends on wheel width and backspacing. I've seen it on a few trucks and as long as it doesn't inhibit lock to lock turning a rub is ok.

Cameron

·
Registered
559 Posts
i thought that usually when u bag a truck u go with either the sway bar, or shocks and not both, do any of u guys have both,i ditched my sway bar when i bagged my truck

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
02chevy said:
i thought that usually when u bag a truck u go with either the sway bar, or shocks and not both, do any of u guys have both,i ditched my sway bar when i bagged my truck
You can have both. I ditched my sway bar too, but I know people that have both. A little rubbing is tolerable.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I've got my sway bar.....no problems. If you really want wicked side to side than a sway bar won't be ideal.

Cameron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts