GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on making trac bars when I do my sfa witgh heims, but what it the best mounting spot on the axle?

Below - this way the bars would be pushed on - but puts them in the prime smashing area.

middle - will this work?

top - how my procomp ones are now, the are pulled on, and out of the way.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
well arent your pro comp bars mounted with a plate between the spring perch and block? if so that doesnt seem like a very good design imo.

i doubt middle would work well. everyone seems to think bottom works the best. it makes the most sense. and wouldnt the bottom be pulled on and the top be pushed?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Do you need trac bars? Most guys in the crawling world only need them when running 57's or 63's with only like 3 leaves...

If you absolutly must have one, the correct way to build one is a single bar just off the side of the pumpkin. You will have a mount on bottom and top of the tube. Run a single tube from the top mount up to the frame and mount that end to a shackle that can move back and forth. Then run a support tube from the lower mount to a point between the frame end of the upper tube and the middle of the upper tube. Brace it all up and there you go. Could get away with heims or bushings at all the mounting points.

Like this kinda:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need them for axle wrap, i get AWFUL axle wrap.

the pinion torques up so isnt the way i wrote it right?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Ok, just make sure you just do a single torwards the center of the axle like I posted and put a shackle at the frame end.. The fixed mount versions, like your procomps, create and enormous amount of bind when the axle is articulating.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont see how they would really stop the wrap with a shackle. Wouldnt it just pull the bar towards the axle when the pinion torqued up?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is why it attaches to the bottom and the top of the axle tube. The axle rotates trying to lift up on the frame end of the bar and the shackle won't allow it to move up or down, just forward and back. The axle won't be doing any pushing or pulling, just twisting.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that makes sence. I might think about designing one like that. Seems like it would be up out of the way a lot more.

Would you just mount the frame end on a crossmember?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts