GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Drag Racer!
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im thinking about buying an '89 K2500 long bed. It has a new transmission(1-2003) rebuilt different engine??? rancho lift kit, new tires/wheels(35x12.50R16.5), new paint, new battery/starter etc. The odometer reads 109,000. What info if any can you guys tell me about '89 2500 trucks, the pros and cons of the 88-93? style trucks and whether 5995 is a good price for it or not. I drove it three times and it seemed to drive fine for me. If i had pics id attach them...i know this is piss poor info about it, but its all i can really say right now
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Well good news is you should have a 14 bolt rear axle and the beefier 2500 IFS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Well good news is you should have a 14 bolt rear axle and the beefier 2500 IFS.
Only if it's an 8 lug 3/4 ton, 6 lug 3/4 ton will have the same 1500 IFS, while the 8 lug 3/4 ton will have the 1 ton IFS.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
You still need to worry about 3.08. If your running 35s I would put at least 4.10s in, you will get much better power and be much easier on your tranny.
 

·
Drag Racer!
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
willyswanter said:
Only if it's an 8 lug 3/4 ton, 6 lug 3/4 ton will have the same 1500 IFS, while the 8 lug 3/4 ton will have the 1 ton IFS.
i went and looked at it again tonight and it has the 8 lug
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
oooo i thought you were saying you DO have 3.08s. My guess is you have 3.73s if you dont know.
 

·
Buck Nekkid
Joined
·
50 Posts
14 bolt ff. You probably have either 3.73's or 4.11's. I was lucky to get 4.56's in mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Doesn't sound bad, 109,000 miles isn't bad, especially with a new tranny. Those are the 2 things I worry about most. CAn you get a pic of the engine bay, might be able to tell you what its got.
 

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
Joined
·
174 Posts
When you toast the auto its just a good reason to put an nv4500 in, unless your not a standard nazi like me....
 

·
Drag Racer!
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whifflebat said:
Doesn't sound bad, 109,000 miles isn't bad, especially with a new tranny. Those are the 2 things I worry about most. CAn you get a pic of the engine bay, might be able to tell you what its got.
it has a 350 in it...with TBI i believe
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top